Did you know that condensation occurs when humid air comes into contact with a cooler surface ? For this reason, it is more common to see this phenomenon in winter and see it in our windows.
And it is that if the windows are at a room temperature inside, but outside the temperatures are very low, they contrast in the glass and the profile, and that is when condensation can appear. An effect that if not controlled and treated correctly can lead to a perspiration problem in the home .
In addition, uncomfortable and unhealthy dampness appears in our house. In this article we want to give you some tips on how to avoid condensation on windows:
1. Ventilate the house
Condensation is generated when performing actions as normal as taking a hot shower, opening the door of the hot oven or boiling water in a pot, among other things. When this type of phenomenon occurs, it is usually also due to conditioning factors such as , for example, the geographical area where you live or the orientation of your home . For this reason, it is important that you ventilate your house so that the air can be renewed and the internal temperature can be regulated.
Opening the windows for a maximum of 10 minutes a day and having ventilation systems reduces the risk of fogging the windows and the generation of humidity .
In addition, of all this, the type of window that we have in our home also plays a differentiating role. If you are one of those who have relatively old windows, this phenomenon will occur with some regularity and the risk of suffering from humidity is much higher.
2. Have extractors and / or dehumidifiers at home
If your home already has a history, or is prone to moisture on the walls and the windows fog up easily, we recommend that you install some type of extraction system or dehumidifying machine to eliminate moisture. Thanks to both systems, you will be able to reduce condensation and increase your thermal comfort and well-being.
3. Control the average temperature of your home
We have already said that condensation appears when a large temperature difference is generated between the exterior and the interior of your home . For this reason, we recommend you try to maintain an average room temperature, above 17º, but without excessive heat to avoid temperature shock.
In order to control this, you can choose to have a thermometer that measures the temperature of the house. Even the same thermostats in your heating system can control the room temperature.
4. Renew the profile of the windows or glass of your house
If you are one that has old windows or a metal-type profile, the risk of having condensation and humidity at home is very high. Did you know that with a PVC enclosure , condensation is no longer a problem? And it is that PVC is a non-conductive material, which insulates and does not generate cold spots on the surface.
But not only that, and it is that depending on the type of glass that our windows have, we can ensure better control of condensation. In this case, double glazing or low-emissivity glass will help you to considerably reduce heat loss and, at the same time, will favor a temperate climate inside your home.
As you can see, both the profile and the glass of our windows play an important role when it comes to condensation. Finally, we want to give you some technical keys to the characteristics of the different types of glass, in relation to the generation of condensation:
- Simple glass with a normal or low-quality profile can generate a high degree of condensation if we are in areas with very low temperatures. In addition, the higher the temperature contrast between the interior and exterior, the lower the visibility and transparency index.
- A double-glazed window , in which one of the panes of glass it complements is low-emissivity , the condensation that may occur will be much less than simple glass. Still, condensation may form inside the chamber, on the inner sheet, or on the outer sheet . Something almost priceless.
- In the case that the profile is of quality but the glass not so much , condensation may occur. In this case, the level of waterproofing of the frame and internal ventilation are decisive.