Jewelry is one of the most precious possessions for many people, but it is as important to have it as it is to know how to wear it. Keeping them in good condition is essential to preserve all the value they have, since otherwise they can deteriorate and, consequently, lose it. To keep your jewelry pristine, it is important that you know all the cleaning secrets they need. Regardless of whether you wear them more or less frequently, to make them look always you have to wash them well every so often. In addition, each type of jewel requires different hygiene, as is the case with chains.
How to clean a gold chain with soap and water
Neutral soap, dishwasher soap, or the one you use to wash dishes by hand is an effective product to clean a yellow, white or rose gold chain . Mixed with water, it is a simple resource with which you will be able to keep your jewelry in good condition. Follow these steps to clean your gold chain successfully:
- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a small bowl of dish soap or detergent.
- Stir the mixture until the soap is dissolved.
- Dip the gold chain in the soapy water. Let it soak for several minutes (maximum 15). You can also put it in and take it out several times until it is completely wet.
- Scrub the chain with a toothbrush if it is very dirty. Make sure it has soft bristles (threads) so as not to damage it and do it with circular movements.
- Remove the chain and rinse it with hot water.
- Dry the chain with a cloth and place it on a flat surface until the next day to dry completely. To polish it, move the cloth in small circles.
How to clean a gold chain with baking soda
Baking soda is another product to take into account when thinking about how to clean a gold chain to make it shine . It is a compound that, accompanied by water, is effective for washing your jewelry. To clean gold with bicarbonate , whether it is white gold, rose gold or yellow gold, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you follow these steps:
- Take a glass container and line it with aluminum foil so that the chain has contact with this material and not with the glass. This way, it will be cleaned better.
- Place the gold chain on the bowl and sprinkle the baking soda until it is completely covered.
- Boil water and pour it over the gold chain while it is still hot. Let it soak for 5 minutes.
- Brush the chain with a soft bristle brush. For example, you can use a toothbrush that you no longer use and have previously sterilized in boiling water. In fact, we recommend having such a brush among your cleaning utensils because it is very useful in a wide variety of household cleaning situations.
- Take the jewel, rinse it in cold water and dry it with the softest cloth you have.
How to clean blackened gold from a chain with vinegar
To know how to clean blackened gold , vinegar is a great ally. It is a resource that is also cheap and with which you can keep your chain in good condition without great effort. This method is used to clean gold with baking soda and vinegar. Therefore, you need to have baking soda and white, apple or wine vinegar to be effective. You can clean gold with vinegar as follows:
- For every three teaspoons of baking soda used, add two teaspoons of water and stir the mixture until you have a thick mass similar to toothpaste. Therefore, if you see that it is getting too liquid, add more bicarbonate and if you see that it is too thick add more water.
- Apply the dough with a sponge or a cotton swab or cotton bud, completely covering the chain.
- Place the chain in a plastic container and pour in the white vinegar. The chain should be fully submerged for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the chain in warm water until the baking soda and vinegar are gone.
- Dry the jewelry with a soft cloth.
How to clean a gold chain with toothpaste
Toothpaste is another resource with which you can clean a yellow, white or rose gold chain . It is a very inexpensive and easy to apply method:
- Put a small amount of toothpaste on your toothbrush that you no longer use and that has soft bristles. In fact, we recommend that you keep a toothbrush well stored with the cleaning material, as it is very useful for cleaning countless objects and surfaces.
- Rub the chain and rinse it with warm water until you achieve the desired result. If the first application has not worked, repeat the first two steps until it is successful.
- Dry it with a soft cloth. Leave it on a surface, like a tray, without being covered so that it finishes drying completely.
How to clean blackened gold from a chain with soap and sparkling water
To finish off the methods on how to clean a gold chain , soapy water and soap is another effective mix. Following these steps to clean a gold chain with soap and sparkling water you will achieve it successfully:
- Add drops of dish soap to the sparkling water in a bowl and mix well until dissolved. The water should be at room temperature or warm. This fizzy liquid facilitates the removal of stains on a gold chain by its effervescence.
- Soak the chain for 15 minutes. Leave it well immersed in this time interval.
- Unlike the soap and water method, in this case, scrub the chain with a soft bristle brush to make the blackened gold shine again. Keep in mind to always do it with circular movements and with care.
- Rinse the chain with lukewarm water.
- Dry the jewelry well with a soft cloth. In this way, the gold chain will shine again.