If you tried to search how to clean a mattress with baking soda and vinegar! this article for you. In this article, we cover everything step by step.
Cleaning a mattress can be a complicated task, but it is a fundamental practice so that mites, bacteria, and fungi do not accumulate inside. Also, with young children at home, it is very likely that you will end up wetting the bed sometimes.
Read more: How to remove blood stains from a mattress
But How to clean a mattress? From CleaningArena we give you some recommendations to clean your mattress with bicarbonate and to finish even the most resistant stains.
How to clean a mattress with baking soda and vinegar
In any mattress countless bacteria, dust and mites accumulate daily, not to mention sweat and urine stains, in the case of children. Are you doing something about it? In this article we explain how to clean your mattress to leave it like the jets of gold!
How to clean a mattress with baking soda
Yes, yes, although many people don’t even think of doing it, cleaning the mattress is mandatory if you want to have a healthy and restful sleep. And is that the accumulation of mites and other harmful germs can cause allergies, skin problems and other pathologies.
CLEANING THE MATTRESS WITH BAKING SODA STEP BY STEP
The antibacterial and hygienic power of baking soda has made it one of the most popular household cleaning products. And one of the most popular home cleaning tricks on the internet is to clean the mattress with bicarbonate because, in addition to being very effective, it is not harmful to health or the environment, and it works very well to eliminate odors and urine stains.
- Clean stains. Before applying the baking soda, gently rub any stains with a cloth dampened with soap and water.
- Let dry. Let it dry and speed up the process with the help of a hair dryer to prevent moisture from penetrating the mattress.
- Sprinkle and let it rest. Once dry, sprinkle the baking soda over the entire surface (and especially where some liquid may have fallen as in the case of urine leaks), and let it rest for two or three hours.
- Remove the baking soda. After this time, remove the bicarbonate with the help of a vacuum cleaner. If you don’t have it, you can push it to the ground with a hair dryer, or remove it with a clean cloth or brush.
BASIC MATTRESS MAINTENANCE
If, in addition to being clean, you want to keep the mattress in good condition and extend its life to the maximum, keep these simple principles in mind.
- Flip it over. Every three months (coinciding with the change of season, for example) or every six at the most. And turning it sideways and head to toe, too. There are some models that only need a 180º turn every 12 months and others that need to be turned every 3 months. Check with your salesperson about what is best for your model.
- Renew. As a general rule, the useful life of a mattress is considered to be around 10 years. After this time, or sooner if you detect any important anomaly, change it.
ESSENTIAL KEYS TO CLEANING THE MATTRESS
- Air and dry daily. Don’t make the bed right after you get up. Leave the bed unmade and open to air it out for a few minutes and dry off any traces of sweat or moisture.
- Shake and vacuum the mattress weekly. Taking advantage of the weekly change of sheets do not put them clean immediately. Let the mattress air out for a while, shake it, and vacuum it to remove dust, mites, and other accumulated particles.
- Clean possible stains. In the event that it has been stained, you can clean the stains with a cloth dampened with a little water and neutral soap, or with hydrogen peroxide if they are blood, or with bicarbonate of urine to absorb dirt and bad odors.
- Use covers. When buying the mattress, decide if possible for removable models or use protectors or mattress covers. This way you can clean them every one or two months. And keep in mind that latex is antibacterial, resistant to fungi and the most indicated if you have an allergy to mites. And those with springs breathe better and are suitable for people who sweat a lot.
TRICKS TO CLEAN THE MATTRESS ACCORDING TO THE TYPE OF STAIN
The main cause of stains on mattresses are accumulated dust and dirt, as well as sweat. However, there are other types of stains that are more frequent than we imagine.
HOW TO CLEAN A URINE STAINED MATTRESS
They are especially very common in children’s mattresses. Take out the sheets, underpads, and pad and wash them. To clean urine stains from the mattress, use a mixture of four parts water to one part white vinegar .
If the stain is dry , sprinkle the mattress with the baking soda, cover it with plastic wrap, and leave it on overnight. The next morning, remove the wrapper and vacuum up the mixture. If this does not work, you can sprinkle with a preparation with 235 ml of hydrogen peroxide and three tablespoons of bicarbonate, let it act and dry it.
HOW TO CLEAN SWEAT STAINS FROM A MATTRESS
Some more and others less, we all sweat. And these types of stains are the ones that accumulate the most on the mattress. The most effective way to remove sweat from the mattress is to use a mixture of one tablespoon of ammonia in one liter of water with three tablespoons of liquid soap. You do not have to soak the mattress, just rub the surface a little with a well wrung out sponge.
HOW TO CLEAN A MATTRESS WITH BLOOD STAINS
A wound that opens, a scab that rubs … Blood stains must be removed as soon as possible , as they penetrate tissue very easily and are very resistant.
- If the stain is fresh , apply a little hydrogen peroxide, wait for the bubbles to come out, and wipe it off with a clean white cloth. Rubbing with a little water or cold milk helps prevent it from penetrating the fabric.
- When the blood stain is dry or has already penetrated the tissues, a mixture of one part baking soda and two parts cold water should be used. Spread with a damp cloth and leave to act for 30 minutes. Then remove with water and dry well.
HOW TO CLEAN A MATTRESS WITH MOISTURE STAINS
When sweat stains accumulate, especially in mattresses that do not allow perspiration, moisture appears.
- First air the mattress preferably in the sun, to help dry the moisture.
- Then vacuum to remove mold (if any)
- Apply solvent (they can be found in any drugstore)
- And finally, rinse well with warm water and apply a disinfectant
* If moisture persists or mold reappears, don’t hesitate: change the mattress.
HOW TO CLEAN A VOMIT-STAINED MATTRESS
We do know that it is not pleasant. But if you have children at home, it is likely that you have had to face these types of stains on the mattress. To clean them:
- sprinkle with vinegar and let it act for about 10 minutes
- then sprinkle with baking soda
- let it fizz and vacuum to remove it
* If the stain persists, rub with a sponge moistened with hydrogen peroxide.
ANNUAL MATTRESS CLEANING
Cleaning the mattress thoroughly once a year is essential.
FIRST OF ALL CLEAN STAINS FROM THE MATTRESS
To do this, use half a liter of cold water and three tablespoons of liquid detergent that we will pour into the water making a lot of foam. In the area where the stain is, with the help of the sponge, spread the foam. Rub in circular motions until you see the stain disappear. You should avoid getting the mattress wet, so use the foam and then, with a dry and clean cloth, remove it. If it’s a bit damp, use a hair dryer on the area to make it dry more quickly.
SECOND STEP: DISINFECT AND ELIMINATE MITES
Once all the stains have been treated and the mattress is dry, it is disinfected and the mites removed. To do this, use a sieve with which to spread the baking soda over the entire mattress. Then, we will pour the hydrogen peroxide into a sprayer or atomizer to spray it evenly over the entire mattress. It can also be made with vinegar. Let stand and act for about 45 minutes.
After this time, spray again with the hydrogen peroxide or vinegar spray, but this time in areas that we will rub with the clean sponge. It must be done systematically until we have rubbed the entire mattress with panache. You will see how the baking soda turns brown and this will mean that it is pulling the dirt off. It only remains to vacuum the remains of the bicarbonate. After this process, the ideal would be to leave it in the sun for an hour but, if it is not possible and it is humid, run the dryer again.