There are many who do not know that we share a mattress with beings almost invisible to the human eye. These are called mites and, due to the environmental conditions that are generated in the bedroom, our bed is the perfect place for these insects. Among the main diseases that dust mites can cause in the body, we find asthma, rhinitis or dermatitis, among others.
How to clean a mattress with ammonia
You don’t always have a vacuum cleaner handy, and even if you do have one, you may prefer to clean your mattress by hand beforehand to ensure a more thorough cleaning .
We start with a well-known and effective option: ammonia. This chemical product is perfect if you wonder how to clean a urine mattress or how to clean a very dirty mattress in general, since it forms a colorless gas with a strong odor, ideal for deep cleaning many objects, surfaces and even clothes. Here we explain step by step how to clean a mattress with ammonia :
- Before using this chemical, be sure to open windows, doors, and vents, wear appropriate clothing, sturdy latex gloves, and a mask to cover your mouth. In addition, we recommend that you protect your eyes with special glasses, since ammonia can cause irritations and even temporary respiratory diseases (in extreme cases).
- Remember not to mix ammonia with bleaches like chlorine or bleach, as you could put your health at risk.
- Prepare three parts of warm water with one of ammonia, remove the mattress from the bed and leave it in an open space where you can handle it easily.
- Use a cloth (preferably white) and moisten it in the previously prepared mixture.
- Locate the stains you want to remove and wipe the area in question several times and with force. You can then proceed to wipe the cloth moistened with ammonia over the other parts of the mattress. From UNCOMO we recommend that you do it in parts; first one side, let it dry, then the other.
- Wipe with a dry cloth to remove any dirt that has remained on the mattress.
- Lastly, let the mattress dry for about six hours. To speed up this process, place the mattress in a place with ventilation.
How to clean a mattress with baking soda
It is a much less aggressive option than the previous one, since bicarbonate is an especially effective compound to prevent the reproduction of mites and to do less deep cleaning. Remember that it is best to clean your mattress at least once a week. Wondering how to clean a mattress with baking soda? Follow these instructions:
- First, remove the sheets and pads from your mattress and put them to wash.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda in half a glass of white vinegar, then dampen a dry cloth in this solution.
- Run the cloth over the entire mattress to remove surface dirt and, if there are stubborn stains, rub hard so that the contents dissolve and disappear. If the stains are resistant, use a little ammonia as we have explained previously.
- Remove the baking soda and vinegar residues with a dry cloth and let the mattress dry in a ventilated place.
For a quicker but just as effective baking soda and vinegar clean , follow these instructions:
- Carry out a first cleaning by mixing water (a glass), vinegar (a quarter of the glass) and soap powder (a tablespoon).
- Dampen a cloth in the mixture and wipe the mattress lightly. Then remove the remains with a dry cloth.
- Next, take the baking soda and sprinkle it all over the mattress. No part should be left uncovered.
- Let the bicarbonate act for approximately 5 hours, as this will eliminate the mites and annoying odors from the mattress.
- After this time, remove the baking soda with a dry cloth or a vacuum cleaner.
How to clean a mattress with detergent
Whether you’re wondering how to clean a urine mattress or want to know how to clean a mattress of sweat or other annoying odors, this option is perfect for you.
Here’s how to clean a very dirty mattress with detergent . Take note:
- Make a soapy solution by mixing 1 tablespoon of liquid laundry soap in 1 liter of cold water. If you are cleaning a smaller mattress, you can prepare half a liter of this solution.
- Stir until you get a rich lather, then dampen a sponge in the mixture.
- Vigorously rub the stains in circular motions and repeat these steps until satisfactory results are obtained.
- After cleaning with soap, wipe the mattress with a towel dampened with clean water to remove residue. The idea of this procedure is not to abuse the amount of water, since the excess of it can produce bad odors.
And we still offer you another step by step to clean the mattress quickly and effectively with this ingredient:
- In a deep enough container, mix a cup of liquid detergent and clean water in equal parts.
- With a manual or electric mixer, mix the mixture until you get a creamy and foamy solution.
- Then add a good splash of the white vinegar and stir once more.
- Before applying the solution to the mattress, wipe it with a dry cloth to remove surface dust.
- Dampen a sponge with this solution and squeeze it very gently into the bowl to avoid excess water. If you don’t have a sponge, you can use a thick bristle brush.
- Apply the mixture on the stains and begin to rub in a circular motion from the inside out.
- In another bowl, pour clean water and add 10 drops of essential oil to eliminate bad odors. Lavender, lemon or tea tree essential oil are perfect for scenting your mattress in a subtle and natural way.
- Dampen a soft cloth with this liquid, squeeze it and wipe it all over the mattress to remove the traces of soap and dust.
- Let the mattress dry in front of a window or balcony.
How to clean a mattress with hydrogen peroxide
If your mattress is stained with blood or urine, this mixture is excellent, since hydrogen peroxide is used to deeply disinfect surfaces and clothes. These are the steps you must follow:
- Before starting, wipe the mattress with a dry cloth, as this will get rid of the most superficial dust and dirt.
- Do not abuse the hydrogen peroxide on your mattress, as you could damage it. From unCOMO we recommend that you first try this product in a small and inconspicuous place.
- Soak a rag in hydrogen peroxide, then rub the stain you want to remove for a few minutes until it disappears.
- Let the component act on the mattress and, once dry, wipe with a dry cloth to remove any traces of the product.
Although this is surely the fastest home remedy to clean a dirty mattress, you should know that it is not the best option to do a deep cleaning, since in no case should you pour hydrogen peroxide all over the mattress. However, if you are looking for an effective stain remover that you can use in a short time, hydrogen peroxide can be of great help.
How to clean a mattress with bleach
Once again, we are talking about a powerful stain remover that can become your best ally if you want to remove mold from the mattress or eradicate a specific stain.
- To remove a stain with bleach, pour a little of this product into a glass.
- Soak a sponge or dry cloth and wring it out well before carrying it to your mattress.
- Identify the stain you want to get rid of, and then rub it in with the sponge or damp cloth.
- Rub vigorously and always making circular movements until the mold remains have disappeared.
- Let the mattress dry in an airy place.