Taking care of home furniture is essential to prolong its life and keep it in good condition. To provide the expected comfort, they must be cleaned and preserved in the best possible way. Some of them, such as white leather sofas, require specific care and, above all, suitable cleaning methods so as not to spoil the material or color. The leather of sofas can be affected by many causes: humidity, heat, direct contact with the sun’s rays or stains are some things that affect this material by deteriorating it. The complex care of this furniture is accentuated if it is white, since it is one of the colors most susceptible to being affected by stains and accumulated dirt.
To discover how to clean a white leather sofa , the most effective and careful methods to preserve the material well, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you continue reading this article.You may also be interested in: How to clean a leather sofaIndex
Using neutral soap to clean a white leather sofa is a great option in case you need an intense cleaning. To carry out this deeper hygiene, follow these steps:
- In a container, mix water with neutral soap and, if you have one, add a few drops of cleaner with pine oil or another similar, which contains a disinfectant power and provides a fresh smell.
- After creating a lather with the mixture, apply it with the help of a sponge on the sofa.
- Rub over the entire surface, especially in the dirtiest areas.
- Run a brush with soft bristles all over the couch. Thus, you will remove dirt without damaging the material of the furniture.
- Rinse the sofa with a sponge or cloth dampened in water and, if you want, apply a little of the pine oil cleaner with a cloth.
- Finish cleaning the sofa with a dry cloth.
Applying this simple method correctly, cleaning a very dirty white leather sofa and making it look like new is possible and within everyone’s reach.
Wipes for cleaning a white leather sofa
The wipes hygiene are another product to clean the skin of the sofa . It is an inexpensive element and without components that can damage the material, so it is totally suitable for this type of cleaning. By having no abrasive ingredients, these wipes serve to easily clean the white leather sofa with all the safety for the material. Of course, we recommend it for leathers that are not very dirty or to finish cleaning after a more thorough cleaning, for example with soap, if the sofa was very dirty.
- Pass the wet wipes by rubbing vigorously. If they are somewhat dry, it will be enough to moisten them a little with clean water.
- Then wipe with a dry cloth to remove excess moisture from the skin and any remaining dirt.
Creams to clean the skin of a sofa
If you were wondering what to clean leather sofas with , the answer is not unique because there are many products capable of achieving this if applied correctly and it is not just basic soaps or wipes. For example, creams are another suitable product for this: if you have a moisturizer or cleanser , it will help you clean a white leather sofa .
Even so, cleaning leather sofas with a Nivea-type cream should be something specific, as they should be applied at most twice a year. To do this, you can take a cotton cloth with a little cream and apply it making circles on the surface, distributing the product well and insisting on the driest or dirtiest parts. With a controlled application, you will be able to deeply clean the sofa and nourish the skin, ensuring that this furniture remains in good condition and the white leather lasts longer.
Cleaning a leather sofa with household products , such as an orange or lemon peel, is possible. Citrus contains components, such as essential oils, that help to effectively clean the furniture. To remove stains from a white leather sofa with citrus fruits , you must follow these guidelines:
- Peel a citrus fruit, such as an orange, tangerine, lemon, or lime.
- With the white or inner part of the skins of the fruit, rub gently on the affected areas of the furniture.
- When finished, wipe with a slightly damp cloth and then a dry one.
Another option is to use citric acid-based cleaning products directly. Here we explain how to clean with citric acid .
Alcohol to clean a white leather sofa
If you are trying to figure out how to whiten a white leather sofa , alcohol will help you maintain the color by removing certain stains. Follow these guidelines to clean your white leather sofa with alcohol :
- Use a cotton ball or towel soaked in alcohol and wipe it all over the surface to remove any stains.
- Wait a bit for the entire surface to dry.
- Go over the surface with a cloth dampened in plain water and then wipe with another dry cloth to finish the wash.
In these other articles we explain How to clean with burning alcohol and How to clean and disinfect with denatured alcohol .
Another home remedy for cleaning a white leather sofa is beer, anyone can do it. Follow these steps to clean the leather on a white sofa with beer :
- Moisten a cloth with beer, so it is not too soaked, that is, it does not drain liquid.
- Rub it all over the furniture, rubbing vigorously, this will help you remove stains even if they are somewhat dry.
- Rub with a cloth soaked in clean water to finish the wash and then wipe with another dry cloth to make sure all the parts look good.
Also, if you want to clean a white leather sofa to make it shine, the important thing is to nourish the skin, so after a good cleaning like this you can apply a thin layer of moisturizer or a special cream for leather.
Cleaning yellowish white leather with egg white is an alternative that you should consider following these steps:
- Separate several egg whites and beat them until stiff.
- Apply them with a cloth, rubbing more intensely into the stained areas of the sofa.
- You may need to repeat this method to get rid of the stubborn stains, but you will eventually be able to remove them.
- Wipe with a cloth dampened with clean water and then another dry to finish washing the leather sofa.
Can you clean a white leather sofa with ammonia?
Among those who wonder how to clean the leather of a white sofa, this specific question is very common, since ammonia can be used to clean some surfaces or objects at home. However, you should avoid at all costs the use of harsh chemicals to clean a white leather sofa because their regular application eliminates the shine and protective layer of the furniture’s leather. Therefore, the deterioration of the sofa is accelerated.
So, rule out using ammonia to clean a white leather sofa . In case of resorting to it out of extreme need, lowering it with water is the best way to reduce damage to the material, apart from using it only occasionally.
More tips for cleaning a white leather sofa
After helping you discover how to wash a white leather sofa, at OneHOWTO we give you more tips to take care of the furniture correctly:
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust from the sofa, thus preventing dirt from accumulating on the leather.
- By maintaining an average toilet of once every two weeks, you will be able to keep the sofa clean and without the need to resort to very deep cleaning methods.
- As stated above, avoid the use of chemicals that damage the sofa skin and opt for products such as neutral soap, egg white or baby wipes.
Now that you know all this about cleaning a white leather sofa, we recommend that you read these other oneHOWTO articles on How to clean a leather or leather sofa and How to clean leather .