Many balconies and terraces of bars, restaurants and also houses have an awning to protect us from the strong and direct sun. It is a cover, which can be made of canvas or any other fabric resistant enough to withstand the possible fall of objects, which becomes a very important element on hot days, that is, especially in summer.
If you have one, it is important that you know how to keep it in good condition so that it fulfills its mission when you need it. To discover how to clean an awning , the care it requires depending on the fabric with which it was made and more details about it, at OneHOWTO we advise you to continue reading this practical article.You may also be interested in: How to clean brassIndex
How to clean a canvas awning
Cleaning awnings, whether they are window awnings, balconies, terraces or pergolas awnings , is not the same for all types of awnings that exist, although not because of their installation but because of their material. Thus, the material with which the awning was made will determine how to keep it in good condition. For example, one of the most common types of awnings is canvas, which is very easy to accumulate dirt.
At OneHOWTO we help you discover how to clean a very dirty canvas awning and keep it in good condition by following these steps:
- Mix detergent soap and water.
- Use a cotton cloth, soak it in the mixture, wring it out, and rub the awning canvas, insisting on the dirtiest parts. This first step will be enough to remove the dirty or stained parts.
- You can also use a sprayer with which you can moisten the dirtiest areas more before rubbing them with the cloth.
- Wipe with a cloth dampened with just water to remove any remaining dirt and soap.
- Let it air dry before you roll it back up.
If after this cleaning you are still wondering how to clean a fabric awning thoroughly because you have seen that yours has dry or very large stains and with this method they do not come out at all, we recommend that you try cleaning the canvas with steam using a steam cleaner. , because the humidity and the high temperature will help you to take off and remove the most difficult dirt. Here you can find information on How to clean with a steam cleaner .
How to clean a plastic awning
Despite being less common, there are also balconies and terraces with plastic awnings. The great advantage of this type of awnings is the ease of cleaning them. Follow these steps to clean a plastic awning :
- Mix water with any grease remover or similar cleaning product.
- Moisten the surface of the plastic awning with the solution and brush until stains and dirt are removed.
- Rinse with high-pressure water using a hose or wiping with a cloth soaked in water several times to remove all traces.
- Wait for the awning to air dry before picking it up.
How to clean the scum from an awning
Verdin sometimes appears on awnings. It is a layer formed by mold and is green and black. These types of stains are usually caused by the accumulation of humidity in the awning, a point to take into account to avoid it during its use and maintenance. If you want to know how to clean a moldy awning , follow these steps:
- Completely moisten the awning with hot water.
- If the verdin stains are not recent, choose to use a grease remover to make it easier for you to remove them.
- Rub gently on the stained areas to avoid damaging the awning fabric.
- Rinse the entire surface with water.
- Apply an anti-mold product suitable for canvas or plastic, depending on the material of the awning you clean, let it act for the time indicated on the container and run water again to clean everything and remove all possible remains of dirt.
- Let it dry before picking it up.
In this way, you remove both the largest and smallest dirt and even eliminate mold spores, preventing it from reappearing easily. From here, to ensure that it does not reappear, you will have to make sure that moisture does not constantly accumulate in the fabric.
Tips for cleaning an awning
After knowing the steps on how to remove stains and clean the canvas and plastic awning, even with mortar, we give you some tips to keep a cleaner and in good condition for as long as possible:
- Pick up the awning whenever it starts to rain so that it doesn’t accumulate too much moisture and build up scum on the surface.
- Do not roll up the awning if it is wet except in dire need. If you can’t avoid it, you will have to unroll it later until it dries.
- To remove dirt from the awning and prevent it from accumulating, brush it at least once a week. In this way, you will have greater comfort when cleaning it, since you will have followed a previous maintenance and there will not be so much accumulation of dust and other dirt.
- Brush the awning with a brush that has soft bristles to avoid damaging the fabric.
- With weekly brushing, you will remove pollen, dust and other dirt accumulated on a daily basis, but when you want to clean the awning thoroughly, use a vacuum cleaner so that the remains of dirt do not fall on the floor or any other surface.
- Avoid using soaps or other cleaning products that are not classified as surfactant and neutral. Those that do not contain these characteristics are very aggressive for awnings, being able to damage the material or even cause a detachment when the canvas breaks.
- Use pressurized water with a hose only if the awning is in a garden with a water evacuation system. Thus, you will not cause inconvenience to the neighbors or other problems.
- You do not have to wash an awning in the washing machine, so if you are really worried that it will spoil, do not use the washing machine under any circumstances.
- If you detect any type of stain, it is convenient that you remove it at that precise moment to prevent it from penetrating even further into the canvas fabric and drying out too much.
- Keep in mind that the most common stains on awnings are bird droppings, so check the canvas every day to see if it has been stained and thus remove the stain immediately.
- Do not forget to clean the internal area of the awning, that is, the part of the fabric that is facing the ground, because although it gets less dirty than the external part, it will also accumulate dirt.