Having a clean environment is key to feeling comfortable at home. The kitchen is the place where we prepare food, therefore cleanliness and proper hygiene management are key, especially before and after food preparation.
Currently, the World Health Organization recommends the use of sodium hypocrite products for disinfecting surfaces that are frequently touched in homes to help prevent the spread of the corona-virus. At the end of this article, you can consult the WHO recommended dose to disinfect surfaces.
In addition, we recommend that you follow these disinfection tips in your kitchen :
Surfaces with a higher risk of contamination are those that are in contact with hands or food, such as countertops where we prepare food.
Therefore, we recommend the use of sodium hypochlorite to disinfect all washable surfaces. Both products are effective against bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
How is bleach used in this case?
Estrella or Conejo can be used in direct use or diluted with water, following the dosage instructions indicated at the end of this article. We recommend applying on the surface, leaving to act for 15 minutes, and then rinsing with water.
Attention to the disinfection and cleaning of these areas:
- Clean all surfaces and especially the counter and cutting boards often after each use.
- Keep kitchen appliances clean, including the floor around and behind them, like the fridge or microwave.
- Wash your hands before and after touching meat, fruits, or vegetables.
- Clean, rinse, and dry the scouring pads and cloths frequently with a bleach solution (such as Estrella or Conejo) or machine wash on high heat.
- Wash dishes and kitchen utensils after each use. They can be washed in the dishwasher at a high temperature.
- Products containing bleach should only be used on surfaces and in accordance with product safety information as indicated on product labels.
What is the ratio of bleach to the water to disinfect?
To achieve good disinfecting efficacy, the World Health Organization recommends a 0.5% concentration of sodium hypochlorite (5000 ppm). To obtain this concentration with Star and Rabbit lye, dilute a dose of 130 ml of product (approx. 2/3 of a glass of water) and add water (870 ml) until 1 liter of the solution with which we want to clean the surfaces is obtained. In other words, the recommended dose would be to mix 130 ml of lye with 870 ml of water.
Also, it is best to wear gloves when handling and cleaning with bleach.
And remember that bleach should not be mixed with other cleaning products such as ammonia since they can give off toxic gases and are harmful to health. Always keep out of the reach of children.