With the passage of time, dust and use, brass objects lose their shine and charm. Stains or changes in color indicate that it is time to take care of its maintenance.
How to clean brass with soap or detergent
When brass looks dusty or dirty, the best option is to use soap and water or a mild detergent. If you were wondering how to clean brass door handles, this is one of the best options, as this diluted product will not damage the door. This is how you should clean the brass with detergent or soap :
- Mix one cup of mild soap or detergent in one liter of warm water.
- Place the mixture in a deep container, in which your piece of brass fits loosely
- Soak the piece of brass in the soapy water for about 15 minutes or until the water reaches room temperature.
- With a soft towel, clean and dry the surface of the object. You can also use an old toothbrush for those areas where dirt does not sink easily.
How to clean brass with vinegar and salt
If you need to know how to clean brass to restore its shine , follow these simple steps in which you will use water, salt and vinegar , whether it is wine, white or apple:
- Heat half a liter of water.
- When the water is beginning to boil, dissolve 2 tablespoons of fine salt and 2 tablespoons of white, wine, or apple vinegar.
- With the help of a sponge soaked in the mixture, spread it evenly over the brass object, rub well and leave it to act for a few minutes.
- Dry your brass piece completely with a clean cotton cloth.
How to clean brass with flour paste, vinegar and salt
This option is ideal for cleaning non-submersible brass parts , as they are installed somewhere in the house, such as hinges, brass door handles and some wooden furniture ornaments.
With these simple ingredients you can make a paste of flour, salt and vinegar and you will get great changes in the brass pieces.
- Form a dough by mixing half a cup of vinegar with a teaspoon of salt and another of flour.
- Spread the dough on the brass object to be cleaned and let it act for 10 minutes.
- With the help of a clean cloth dampened in warm water, remove the dough by gently rubbing the piece of brass. Just remove the remains of this paste from the object and dry it with a clean cloth.
How to clean brass with toothpaste
Toothpaste components regain the shine of brass objects when they begin to change color. With this alternative, the procedure is even easier, especially when cleaning brass door handles, hinges and other objects that cannot be removed from where they are.
Here are the steps to clean brass with toothpaste :
- Evenly distribute the toothpaste over the object.
- Using a soft bristle brush or cloth, scrub the piece.
- Let the toothpaste act for 10 more minutes and remove it with a damp cloth and then wipe it dry.
How to clean brass with lemon juice
The disinfecting power of lemon can be a great ally to clean brass. In addition, this method is totally ecological. Follow these simple steps to clean brass with lemon :
- Make a cup of lemon juice.
- Run the damp cloth over the brass surface to be cleaned.
- Rub the piece to remove dirt and stains from the brass.
- With another clean cloth, remove the remaining lemon juice from the object.
How to clean brass with cola
This method is useful when you don’t know how to clean rusted brass .
- Disassemble the handles or any rusty brass piece that you want to renew its appearance.
- Place the objects to be cleaned in a container and cover them with the cola.
- Leave them submerged for up to a couple of days.
- After this time, scrub each piece with a soft bristle brush to remove any remaining rust.
- Rinse the brass pieces in lukewarm water and dry them with a clean cloth.
Cleaning the brass with bleach
To remove the greenish layer that forms on brass over time, bleach is a great ally. Follow these guidelines to remove brass stains with bleach :
- Mix equal parts bleach and water in a pot, bucket, or container that can hold the part you want to clean.
- Put the piece of brass in the container and let it rest for a few hours so that the bleach acts.
- If you use a pot, you can speed up the process by bringing it to a boil for five minutes.
- Remove your piece of brass from the pot, finish removing any remains that may be left and dry it with a clean cloth.
How to clean brass with chemicals
When the appearance of brass does not improve with the use of natural or homemade products, more powerful measures must be taken.
There are several commercial products, which must be used strictly following the manufacturer’s recommendations. However, some chemicals that can be used for various purposes at home, also serve to remove rust and accumulated impurities on brass parts. Among them are ammonia and salfumán:
How to clean brass with ammonia
This very good substance for cleaning rusty metal objects. You just have to follow these indications:
- Wear gloves, goggles and a mask.
- Mix equal parts water and ammonia in a bowl.
- Dip your brass objects in the mixture and let it work for at least an hour.
- Remove your pieces and rinse them with water, before drying them with a clean cloth.
- If you can’t submerge the pieces, dampen a cloth and rub the dirty surface.
How to clean brass with salfumán
Muriatic acid, hydrochloric acid and strong water are some of the names with which we call salfumán. This product generates various chemical reactions when it comes into contact with other substances. Therefore, its use must be done with great care, avoiding at all times coming into direct contact with it. If you don’t know how to clean brass with salfumán, follow these instructions:
- Wear protective gloves, glasses or goggles, and a mask or face shield.
- Locate in a ventilated place and away from the presence of other people or pets.
- Place the piece in a large container and drop the salfumán on the brass piece to be cleaned. After a few minutes you will see how the salfumán removes the most ingrained rust in your piece of brass.
- Rinse with plenty of water and dry your piece with a soft cloth.
How to clean brass if it is lacquered
Finally, we offer you some tips to clean brass if it is lacquered successfully:
- It is important to know if the brass piece has a lacquer coating. This step is important because if the piece has a lacquer, you can only use soap and water to clean the brass .
- If the lacquer of the piece is very deteriorated and you want to renew it, use chemical products to remove the lacquer.
- When there is no lacquer left, clean the brass piece with soap and water, dry it with a soft cloth and apply a new coat of lacquer.