When cleaning the home, carpets are often a headache, as keeping them germ-free and in good condition is a challenge. This can be even more complicated if you have covered parts of your floor with rugs or if there are children and pets at home. Therefore, knowing how to clean carpets at home is essential to have an elegant, beautiful and impeccable home.
How to clean very dirty carpets
If you wonder how to clean carpets at home and, more specifically, how to clean very dirty carpets that seem to have no fix, you should know that anything is possible and that there are several methods to remove dust and dirt from carpets.
In addition to removing germs, impurities and stains, it is important to keep the carpets in good condition, since any gap or loose thread can make the piece ugly or even cause accidents.
The main thing to consider is what products to use to disinfect without damaging the fabrics and how to leave a pleasant aroma in the space. Likewise, you must be clear about how to use each cleaning product to optimize its effect in each case.
Vacuum cleaners and bristle brushes are usually the best options for this task, however, here are some effective methods of cleaning carpets at home that you may not know so well. Let’s go there!
How to clean carpets with baking soda
Baking soda is ideal for cleaning all types of carpets, since it does not damage fabrics and is one of the most effective products when cleaning the home. Also, if you are wondering how to dry clean carpets, you should know that baking soda is one of the fundamental products that you will need. To optimize its cleaning and disinfecting action , you will need:
- 100 grams of baking soda
- 100 grams of salt
Steps to follow:
- Gently mix the baking soda with the salt until you get a uniform mixture.
- Spread the dust over the entire surface of the carpet.
- Let the mixture soak into the fabrics for at least an hour.
- Vacuum the carpet, picking up all the particles in the mixture, and you’ve learned how to clean carpets with baking soda.
How to clean carpets with ammonia
Ammonia is an ideal complement to remove deep stains on resistant fabrics, mainly due to its incredible cleaning and disinfecting properties . To clean carpets with ammonia you will need the following ingredients:
- 100 ml of ammonia
- A liter of warm water
- Liquid detergent to clean dishes
- A bristle brush
If you wonder how to clean very dirty carpets, you should know that ammonia is your best ally. Follow the step by step that we present below:
- Put on the gloves and prepare the mixture in a ventilated place. Ammonia is highly toxic, so inhalation and skin contact should be avoided .
- Mix 100ml of ammonia with one liter of warm (not boiling) water in a disposable container.
- Test a small section of the rug for resistance to the mixture to avoid damaging it.
- Open the windows before you start cleaning the carpet so you don’t get dizzy from the smell of the mixture.
- Spray the carpet in parts. Gently scrub each wetted surface with a bristle brush, without applying too much force when scrubbing. After a while, you will see how the carpet stains disappear completely.
How to clean carpets with a steam cleaner
Steam is a great alternative for all types of rugs, as it quickly removes dust and impurities without damaging fabrics. If you wonder how to clean carpets at home with a steam cleaner, get the following materials:
- A steamer
- Baking soda with salt
- Detergent or vinegar
- A damp cloth
Let’s continue to see how to clean carpets with a steam cleaner step by step :
- Clear the entire area you want to clean. Remove furniture and objects from the path.
- With a damp cloth, clean the baseboards, since when you operate the steam cleaner, dust accumulated on them can be released.
- Sprinkle salted baking soda on the carpet to optimize steam cleaning.
- Read the instructions for use of the steamer. Fill your tank with hot water (not boiling) and detergent or vinegar, according to the specifications of the appliance and your preferences when cleaning your home.
- Start vacuuming from the diagonal corner to the front door of the room.
- Slowly vacuum the entire surface and do it in lines, passing the steamer twice through each area .
- Let the carpet dry completely and you are done, you will have discovered how to dry clean carpets in another effective way.