Terrazzo floors are characterized by being hardened cement coatings made on tiles of different sizes or on equal surfaces. The use of this type of soil became popular due to its low price in the market, being one of the cheapest alternatives for families.
- How to clean a terrazzo floor step by step
- How to remove stains from terrazzo flooring
- How to clean terrazzo flooring to make it shine
- How to polish terrazzo flooring
How to clean a terrazzo floor step by step
To perfectly clean the terrazzo floor, you need to have the following objects: a broom, a dustpan, a vacuum cleaner, a bucket, a mop, neutral Ph soap and a cloth. We explain how to clean the terrazzo floor step by step:
- Remove furniture that may make it difficult for you to clean, especially if you have rugs.
- Use the vacuum cleaner to suck up the dust and all the dirt accumulated on the floor. If you don’t have a vacuum, use the broom to sweep thoroughly, but carefully enough not to damage the terrazzo material.
- After removing all the dirt, it’s time to scrub the floor. Pour the liquid soap into the bucket full of warm water and moisten the mop with the resulting mixture.
- Clean the floor with the previously wet mop. There are also specific mops that serve as an alternative.
- At UNCOMO we recommend using the mop with vertical movements, as it may leave some marks if you do it horizontally.
- After you finish scrubbing, ventilate the home to make the floor dry as soon as possible.
How to remove stains from terrazzo flooring
If you detect a stain on the floor and, despite scrubbing it, you have not been able to remove it, you will have to rub it to remove it completely. The easiest way to do it is with a cloth soaked in soap and water: you can use the same cloth that you scrubbed with. Rubbing the stained area of the floor with this cloth will make the stain disappear, but do it gently so as not to damage the terrazzo.
However, there are more specific stains that are difficult to remove . In oneHOWTO we give you the following tips to eliminate them:
Before using any of the products listed above to remove stains from terrazzo flooring, test a small area to see if the surface is damaged, dull or colorless. In this way, you will avoid damaging the entire floor. It is also important to always rinse the cleaned area with warm water.
How to clean terrazzo flooring to make it shine
To keep the terrazzo floor in perfect condition, after cleaning it you will have to polish it. We explain, with different methods, how to clean the terrazzo floor so that it shines and looks like new:
- Soap, water and ammonia : Mix these three ingredients in a bucket and use a mop to apply the mixture to the floor. There are certain precautions you should take before using ammonia, as it is a fairly strong corrosive substance. Make sure there is good ventilation in the home and wear protective gloves and goggles.
- Flaxseed Oil : Flaxseed oil has excellent cleaning properties, so if you want to polish a terrazzo floor with a natural product, scrub the area by dampening a cloth in linseed oil.
- Specific products : another alternative is to use a mop with a specific product for wax terrazzo. Make sure the floor is dry and clean and distribute the product over the entire surface so that it is very shiny.
If none of these options work for you, consult a professional to explore other possible solutions.
How to polish terrazzo flooring
Knowing how to clean your terrazzo floor is important to keep it in good condition, but if you want it to shine, you must also know how to polish it. You have to meet three phases to achieve it in the best possible way. In oneHOWTO we explain these three phases to discover how to polish indoor terrazzo flooring :
- The first step is to polish the floor with a stripper that is applied using a polishing machine. Thanks to this action, you will be able to remove the grease from the terrazzo, clean it and penetrate the liquid used to give it shine.
- Next, put in a sealer and, later, a crystallizer to polish the floor.
- The last phase is waxing. Use a wax to give the terrazzo floor more shine and to seal the open pores in the previous phases.
This method is also effective in knowing how to polish outdoor terrazzo flooring, as it is the best way to remove dirt and give a surface its original shine. Although you can try it, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you do not do it yourself if you do not have experience with this task; The best thing is that you hire the services of a professional , as these phases require special products and the handling of specific machinery.