Cleaning blinds can be one of the most cumbersome procedures of cleaning a room, especially if we do not have the right tools or simply do not have enough practice to remove the grime from the blinds that protect your windows from external contamination.
Products for cleaning blinds on the outside
The blinds can be synthetic, PVC plastic (vinyl), fabric, aluminum or wood. The latter are much more delicate than synthetic blinds, which is why they require a different treatment for cleaning. These are the cleaners you can use depending on the material your blinds are made of:
In addition to the cleaning products you will be using, it is convenient to have a screwdriver , a handheld vacuum , cleaning cloths and a soft bristle brush .
To prevent the blinds from getting too dirty, it is advisable to clean the outside at least every 6 months . As for the internal part, it is enough to go over the rows with a duster and a damp cloth every time we clean the windows so that they always look radiant.
If it is easy to reach the windows from the outside, you will only have to use the products mentioned here and cleaning them will not be a problem. However, if you do not reach them, below we will give you all the instructions and tips you need to clean them safely and effectively.
How to clean the blinds from the outside from the inside
If your blind is not removable, don’t worry. To know how to clean the outside of blinds without disassembling them , all you will have to do is remove the drum that is located on the top of most blinds. This drum stores the blind when it is collected, so we can use it to clean the boards or slats without having to remove the blind from the window. To remove it, keep these steps in mind:
- Get on a firm bench or ladder.
- With the blind all the way down, release the bottom of the drawer. If it’s screwed in, remove the screws.
- Remove the cap by pulling down. The drawer is usually well attached, so you should start pushing slowly from the left side, slowly.
- Pull down with your left hand and press up with your right to loosen the cap. If you don’t do it slowly you can snap the lid off, so be careful.
- When you have the drum detached, you can take advantage of it to clean the interior. Wipe it with a handheld vacuum and a damp cloth with the cleaning product you use.
- Go picking up the blind and cleaning each slat inside the drawer. First, use a hand vacuum cleaner and remove the rest of the dirt with detergent, soap or the product you want to use. We recommend using a nozzle or brush head for your vacuum cleaner.
- Once clean, remove the cleaning product with a microfiber cloth dampened with water.
- Do the same with the rest of the shade until it is fully rolled up. Lower it and let it dry before putting it back up.
Tricks to clean windows on the outside
- If you have venetian blinds, there are some soft bristle brushes on the market specially designed to clean them both inside and out. These Venetian Blind Brushes feature bristles that can collect dust and clean multiple slats in one pass.
- If you want to clean very dirty blinds and stains do not come off, you can use a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar. Vinegar is a powerful cleaner that will get rid of the toughest stains.
- If your blinds are removable , you can lower them by unscrewing the top rail and closing them before removing them from the window. In this case, we recommend placing them on a large blanket or in the shower to clean them more comfortably.