Dry cleaning is one that is done with small amounts of water or without any of it to avoid damaging certain pieces of clothing, furniture, mattresses or any other object in the house. For this, the use of different chemical-based products that promote this type of cleaning is also required, most of them correspond to solvents. The first thing to do is to see the label of each piece of clothing that you want to wash, since many have the indication to clean only dry. At the time that this procedure is carried out, it is important not to use hot water, as it can end up damaging the fibers of which certain pieces of clothing are composed, among other elements. For more information on how to dry clean at home, be sure to read this practical oneHOWTO article.
How to dry clean with the washing machine
For those who do not know, dry clean with the washing machine if possible thanks to a gentle cycle program that most of these appliances have. This is intended for those pieces that are made of firm fabrics, that is, those that do not deform when folded or wrinkled.
To wash garments that cannot be washed with water in a washing machine, you must follow these steps:
- Put the washing machine on the gentlest cycle.
- Apply a little detergent.
- Remove the items of clothing from the washer as soon as the wash cycle is finished.
- Let them sit on a flat space so they dry faster. You can also attach them to different hooks separately.
In addition, there are washers that include a special wash-dry program that treats garments with active oxygen .
How to dry wash clothes by hand
Due to the delicacy of certain clothing items, it is usual to wash them by hand to prevent damage over time. This is one of the ways that is frequently used when wondering how to clean a garment that cannot be washed with water .
There are several dry pieces that can be washed by hand so that their fibers are not damaged, a clear example of this is the coats, which have a large amount of fabric and are often delicate. ¿ How to wash a warm dry without washing? To do this, follow these steps:
- Put some powdered soap in a small bucket of cold water.
- Mix them until you visualize foam.
- Once the soap and water mixture is prepared, the clothes are introduced into said mixture for washing. You have to submerge it several times to make it easier to remove the stains.
- At the same time, rub with your fingertips in the places where dirt accumulates the most, such as the neck and armpits.
- After removing the dirt, the coat should be rinsed with a little water. To do this, it will be necessary to empty the small bucket that contained the soapy water and add cold water to it and submerge the coat to remove any traces of soapy water that it may have.
- To dry the coat, you can place a towel on it and roll it up completely, in this way you will remove excess water. It is important that you repeat this process 3 to 5 times, if necessary use several towels, until you manage to remove all the water from the piece.
- Hang the coat on a hook, a hanger, or place it on any flat surface to finish drying.
How to use a dry cleaning kit for clothes
Another way to dry and hand wash clothes at home is with a dry cleaning kit for clothes , which you can buy at any laundry or dry cleaning store or in supermarkets. You should make sure you have: a stain remover, sheets and a dry cleaning bag. Dry cleaning with a kit works like this:
- Apply some of the stain remover to the area that is stained.
- Place the piece in the dry cleaning bag and place it in the dryer on a gentle drying cycle.
- Remove the garment from the bag and place it on a clothespin to finish drying. In this way, you will notice that the piece is clean thanks to the moisture that the dry cleaning sheet gives off inside the respective bag.
How to dry clean furniture
There are many ways to dry clean furniture , the correct way will depend on the fabric with which it is made. If you want to do this cleaning at home, keep the following in mind:
- Cleaning furniture with the vacuum cleaner: vacuuming will be the first step to take, since it is important to remove all the dust that has accumulated.
- Prepare the cleaning product: to clean the furniture you can use all kinds of detergents or chemicals. However, it is important to always read its label, so that in this way you can make sure if it is allowed to dry clean with the products you have intended. If you want, you are free to add it in a spray bottle so that you don’t soak the entire piece of furniture in it.
- Brush: after having sprayed all the furniture, you can apply the product with the help of a brush or a sponge, make circular movements until the dirt is removed. Next, remove the soap residue with a damp cloth. You can end up vacuuming again to finish removing any residue or moisture that may have remained.
How to dry clean a mattress
Generally, for the dry cleaning of a mattress , different chemicals are usually used: silicone fluids, hydrocarbons and perchlorethylene. But other products such as hydrogen peroxide, bicarbonate, baby wipes or pharmacy alcohol are also used. To do this, just wipe the product you have with a damp cloth over the mattress, focusing on the areas where there are stains.
You can also use baking soda to dry clean your mattress .
- Apply the baking soda to the surface of the mattress. If you wish, you can combine the baking soda with a few drops of vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
- Let this act for several minutes and remove everything with a small towel or slightly damp cloth to remove the bulk of the bicarbonate and then you can vacuum the rest.
- As soon as you finish wiping the damp cloth, use the vacuum cleaner to remove all the residue and moisture that may have remained.