Pleated skirts are one of the most trending pieces of clothing worldwide. Both for a casual meeting and for a more important event, the pleated skirt is a comfortable and elegant garment that can be combined in many different ways.
But ironing a pleated skirt is more complicated than it seems, since it is carried out in one way or another depending on the materials with which the skirt has been made; It is a unique process that must be done correctly to avoid damaging the garment’s characteristic folds.
How to iron a pleated skirt with basting – step by step
Before ironing your board skirt , it is important to take the precaution of basting all its folds so that they do not move. The basting in question should be placed before the waistband and at the bottom of the skirt so as not to damage it.
With this basting you can work more comfortably when ironing the piece, so if you wonder how to iron a pleated skirt with basting, follow these steps:
- Lay the basted skirt on top of the ironing board. Position the waistband at the slimmer end of the board to make the process easier.
- Before proceeding with ironing, check that the appliance is at the required temperature according to the fabric of the skirt, otherwise you could burn your garment.
- When ironing, make sure to always respect the folds; Iron them from top to bottom and in the same way. Rotate the skirt until it is completely smooth.
- As you iron each fold, pull it up to keep it smooth.
- Finally, hang the skirt on a hook and let it rest so that you can store it properly later.
How to iron a pleated skirt with pins
Before ironing your plank skirt , and in case it is very wrinkled, you can also put pins at the end of each pleat. With this, you will achieve that the folds are separated more easily and that the ironing is better.
- Once you have all the separate boards, you must proceed to moisten the garment with its respective ironing water.
- As you iron, put a little steam in each fold and wait for each one to dry before moving on to the next one, as this will ensure that the boards do not wrinkle again.
- When smoothing the skirt, you should do it gently and with the tip of the iron, always being careful not to hit the pins.
It is important to mark each of the folds with the pins and iron on them, as ironing on a fold that is not fixed could deform it or even eliminate it. To guarantee the success of this procedure, we recommend that you iron it with patience, especially if the folds are very fine.
How to iron a pleated skirt using tweezers
Another way to easily iron the pleated skirt is by placing darts, click clothespins, or bobby pins under each pleat. The objective? Very simple, hold each pleat in place so that they cannot move during ironing.
- When all the pleats are set, you can iron your skirt from top to bottom, always starting from the waistband.
- In this sense, do not hold the boards with plastic tweezers , as they could melt in the heat.
- If you are using metal clips, be sure not to come into contact with them when you iron, otherwise you could damage the garment.
How to store a pleated skirt
Now that you know how complex it can be to keep a pleated skirt in good condition, you are probably wondering how to store a pleated skirt correctly so that it does not wrinkle.
From unCOMO we advise you that, once you have ironed your pleated skirt, hang it on a clothes hanger and let it rest for a few minutes. This way, the pleats will remain straight at all times and the skirt will not wrinkle.