Taking care of our footwear, in charge of protecting our feet on a daily basis, is essential both to keep them in good condition and to avoid serious health problems, such as leg or back pain. However, many times we overlook the importance of also checking unpleasant odors in our shoes, an indication that something is not right.
The interior of our shoes is the perfect environment for the proliferation of fungi and bacteria, causing that annoying and embarrassing odor on our feet. Luckily, there are very simple remedies to end this problem, and in the following 0ne how to article we want to reveal one of the most useful, inexpensive and effective. Take note, because below we explain how to remove the bad smell from shoes with vinegar and how to prevent it from reappearing. You may also be interested in: How to eliminate bad smell from shoes Index
Vinegar benefits to combat odor
Looking for home remedies for foot odor ? Then you should know that vinegar has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for many home tricks; From cleaning the home in depth to unblocking drains, the composition and properties of this ingredient make it a perfect ally to combat odors. But why is it?
The acids in vinegar (especially apple cider vinegar), among which acetic acid and malic acid stand out, are responsible for the antibacterial and antifungal properties of this food, benefits that combat foot odor. And it is that this stench is caused precisely by the fungi and bacteria that accumulate day after day on our feet, something that worsens in winter, when we wear socks and shoes that are more closed than usual.
Thus, vinegar is perfect to combat excessive sweating of the feet and the bad smell that accompanies it, because serving only warm water with a cup of apple cider vinegar will achieve great results. If you want to know how to remove bad smell from shoes instantly with the help of vinegar, read on.
How to use vinegar to remove bad smell from shoes
If after a whole day with your shoes on you come home and they smell bad (as well as your feet), you should know that letting them air out overnight may not be enough to remove that bad smell that seems to stick to them. In this case, if you are wondering how to remove the bad smell from shoes and feet with vinegar, you can follow three effective methods:
- Gauze with vinegar : the first advice we give you is to take a gauze or a piece of cloth that no longer works for you and moisten it well with a good jet of vinegar. The fabric should be wet, but it shouldn’t drip, as excess liquid could damage your shoes. Once you have the gauze impregnated with this ingredient, pass it all over the inside of the shoe superficially, without squeezing and without soaking the inside. Do not leave any nooks and crannies, pass the fabric with vinegar both on the sole and on the sides and the inside of the instep of the shoe. It affects the toe and heel, as they are places where more bacteria can accumulate. Let the shoe air dry and let it sit for at least 10 hours.
- Cotton with vinegar : the second option is to put some cotton balls inside the shoe with a few drops of vinegar each. Remember not to soak the cotton, as this could damage your shoes. Once again, we recommend that you leave it on overnight so that the cotton absorbs bad odors.
- Water and vinegar spray : the last method that we recommend, and that you can use together with one of the previous two, is to prepare yourself a mixture with three parts of water and one part of apple cider vinegar. Add the mixture to a spray bottle, shake, and finally add a little to the inside of the shoes. Although it is a useful tip if you do not have much time, from UNCOMO we recommend that you always use it together with one of the previous methods, since that way you will see better results.
In addition, to know how to remove the bad smell from your shoes and feet, we also advise you to soak the latter in warm water for about 20 minutes. Add a cup of vinegar to the saucepan so that it gets rid of bad odors and thus you will avoid bringing the stench back to your shoes. In addition, we advise you to visit this other link on How to remove foot odor with home remedies .
Other remedies to remove bad smell from shoes
Before putting your shoes back in the closet, always check that they do not give off an unpleasant odor as a result of moisture derived from sweat. This smell could permeate the rest of your footwear, or if you leave it closed near your clothes, it could also make them smell bad. If you want other tips on how to remove the bad smell from your shoes when washing them , from UNCOMO we offer you other very effective options:
- Bicarbonate : as with vinegar, bicarbonate is a product with very good antibacterial properties to combat bad odors. For this reason, from UNCOMO we advise you that once you have passed the gauze moistened with vinegar all over the inside of the footwear, add a small amount of bicarbonate to the sole. The absorption capacity of the bicarbonate will take care of neutralizing the unpleasant odor throughout the night, so you just need a little patience.
- Lemon skin : another effective trick to camouflage the bad smell of the feet and shoes is to replace this with a stronger and more pleasant aroma, such as that of lemon or orange peel. Proceed as in the previous case but, this time, instead of baking soda, place the lemon peel inside the shoe after applying the vinegar.