The rooms of the home are susceptible to bad odors without exception. Daily habits, the aromas that come from the kitchen and other factors determine the smell in bedrooms and living rooms. Even so, the place where unpleasant stenches are most concentrated is the bathroom, as it is the place where all the body’s waste is concentrated.
Why does the bathroom smell bad – causes
On some occasions, the bad smell in the sink is caused by defects in the bathroom installation, so the solutions are reduced: it is best to hire the services of a specialist to make the relevant arrangements.
If this is not your case, these are some of the most common causes why bad smells persist in the bathroom:
- Siphon : it is a device that serves to prevent the odors from the sewers from reaching homes by accumulating water in a certain section of the pipes. If toilets, bathtubs or bidets are not used frequently, the water in the siphon dries up, thus eliminating the protection against bad odors.
- The accumulation of debris in the pipe, such as hair and other objects, can cause a bad smell from the siphon.
- Defects in the sealing of the pipes : they can trigger gas escapes from the sewer.
- Aging of the pipes : creates a favorable scenario for the appearance of bacteria and yeasts. Water stagnates with waste materials, creating layers that clog pipes.
- Stagnant water : In this situation, bacteria reproduce and mold appears quickly.
- Lack of maintenance of the pipes : daily use can saturate them, even more so if you are in a neighborhood community.
- Problems in the ventilation of the bathroom, mainly in the design (absence of windows or ventilation ducts that connect the outside air with the sink).
Clean the toilet regularly
Although it seems an obvious solution, it is important to take care of how often we clean the toilet and with which we do a thorough cleaning of the bathroom . The accumulation of microbes and bad odors is most powerful in this space of the room, so be sure to use detergents and liquid soaps that help you remove the bad smell from the toilet. You can make your own organic, homemade bathroom cleaner with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda .
- Add 1 part white vinegar to 1/2 part water. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir occasionally.
- Pour baking soda into the pipes and pour the boiling vinegar water down the toilet.
- Leave on overnight.
- Repeat once a week to keep bad smells away.
Seal the spaces between the floor and the toilet
If you constantly wonder why my bathroom smells bad all the time , one of the first measures you should consider to fix it is related to the joints and the walls of the bathroom. You want to make sure they are well sealed, as with continued use, cracks can be created in these surfaces and air enters from the sewer system. Covering them is essential to prevent bad odors.
If, as you get close to the floor and the point where the toilet and floor meet, you notice unpleasant odors, this is the most likely source of bad smells in your bathroom. To fill these spaces, you can use silicone, paste or polyurethane sealants . You will find them in DIY stores and hardware stores, follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and get to work.
Of course, be especially careful with the hose (a specific toilet drain, with an approximate diameter of 11 cm) because it is usually unprotected and can create small cracks in the wall.
Clean the siphon
One of the most common sources of bad smells in bathrooms is drains. The siphons create a wall of water that blocks bad odors from the street sewers. It can be found in the toilet or on the floor. In any case, to remove the bad smell in the bathroom by the siphon bottle , you will have to check its proper functioning or clean it to remove the dirt. Keep these tips in mind:
- It is common for dirt to collect in the drain. If the siphon is on the floor, put on latex gloves, remove the screen, and remove any accumulated dirt.
- To help you, you can use products to unclog pipes such as plunger fluids that you can find in your supermarket. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to use it.
- If the siphon is in the toilet, we recommend that you use toilet drain plungers, as these have the necessary reach to get to where the dirt is.
- If you haven’t used the toilet in a long time, the bad smell may be caused by the evaporation of the water in the siphon. Letting the water run again will be enough to replace the water in the siphon canister.
Clean the pipes and sink drain
To solve the problems that you may have in the pipes, the best resource is to use a specific cleaner with which you will be able to remove all the dirt that is inside and solve the blockages caused by the accumulation of residues.
Another element to take care of with special interest is the sink drain . This is one of the points where the stench of the toilet is most concentrated, so it is essential to keep it clean. If you don’t know how to remove the bad smell from the bathroom drain, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you follow this step by step:
- Remove the cap and remove any surface dirt you detect. Wear latex gloves.
- To clean the interior areas, use a plunger to move the pipe inside, facilitating the removal of accumulated debris.
- Finally, rinse the drain with hot water.
In cases where there are sealing problems in the pipes, you can fix this by sealing the leak point with caulk or electrical tape.
Clean mold from wall and tiles
It is very common for fungus and mold to appear on bathroom surfaces, which deteriorates the walls and furniture of the bathroom and generates very unpleasant odors. That is why cleaning the tiles with special products for this surface will favor their correct maintenance, preserving a good aroma in the bathroom. Make sure to cover the ceiling as well, as this is a common source for mold to grow.
Ventilate the bathroom
Despite being very easy to do, we often forget to ventilate the bathroom as if it were just another room in the house. For example, you can open the windows and the door to avoid the growth of mold from the steam generated when you shower. In any case, in many sinks there is already an automatic ventilation system with which the air is constantly renewed. You can buy one and install your own at home.
Purifiers and air fresheners
Throughout the article you will have been able to learn how to remove the bad smell from the bathroom with very useful tricks and resources. You can also use air purifiers , a simple alternative since it is the device itself that is responsible for eliminating the bacteria that generate unpleasant aromas.