Taking care of clothes by washing them properly and treating them in the best possible way is essential so that they remain in good condition for as long as possible. Even so, sometimes it is very difficult to be safe from stains that affect the fabric of the garments, such as chewing gum. The adhesion of gum remains to the fabric of the clothing is a great setback, since many people try to remove it without success or deteriorate the affected area of the garment. Therefore, it is important to know the best methods and products to eliminate it.
Acetone is a good product to remove gum from black clothes , without fear of fading , as well as from white or light clothes. To know how to remove gum from clothes with acetone correctly, follow these steps:
- Remove as much chewing gum as possible with your hands and with the help of a scraper or plastic, so that only very sticky remains or stains remain.
- Spray or wet the area of the garment affected by the gum with acetone. Use a sponge or cloth to apply the liquid well.
- Wait a few minutes for the gum and clothes to be well impregnated with acetone, and then rub the stained area with the sponge.
- Scrape off the gum stain with a knife, scraper, or plastic, such as a card that you no longer use. Do this gently so as not to damage the fabric of the garment.
- Repeat the process if you see that there is still enough gum left.
- Finally, put the clothes in the washing machine and program the usual wash cycle to remove any remaining traces of gum.
Other alternatives to this product are nail polish removers that contain acetone and pharmacy alcohol.
One of the solutions that you can resort to if you want to remove gum from white or colored clothing is ice, as this does not affect the dye or the fibers of the garments. If you want to find out how to remove gum from clothes with ice , follow these instructions:
- Put the gum-stained garment in a plastic bag. Place the garment with the gum facing up so that it does not continue to stick to the garment itself.
- Put the bag in the freezer. In this way, the garment is isolated and does not affect the food.
- In a period of 2-3 hours, the gum will freeze. When it’s frozen, remove the bag from the freezer. You can also do it using ice, but it will take longer.
- Take the garment out of the bag and separate the gum from the fabric with a spatula or knife, being careful not to damage the fabric.
- Add stain remover to the affected area once you have removed the gum and wash the garment as usual in the washing machine.
Do you want to discover how to remove gum from clothes with the iron ? The heat from this appliance will help you achieve this in the following way:
- Lay the garment out on the ironing board.
- Place a piece of cardboard or greaseproof paper over the spot stained by the gum stick, making sure the gum sticks together.
- Turn the garment over so that the cardboard or paper is in contact with the ironing board and you can iron the garment directly and at medium heat.
- The heat will loosen the glob of gum from the fabric, sticking it to the cardboard. You will have to lift the fabric to see if it peels off little by little.
- Use a knife or scraper to remove more gum that is still hot from the fabric and when you cannot remove any more, wash the garment in the washing machine to finish removing the remains.
Another solution if you are wondering how to remove gum from clothing with heat is to use boiling water. Accomplish it by following this step by step to remove gum from clothes with boiling water :
- Heat water in a pot until it starts to boil.
- Put the garment in a bucket or bathtub with a stopper and pour the hot water on the gum stuck to the fabric.
- Leave the garment submerged for a minute to allow the heat to penetrate the fibers of the fabric.
- Remove the gum by scraping it off with a knife or scraper. Be careful not to burn yourself with the water and scrape gently so as not to destroy the fabric of the garment.
- Spray the gum-stained area with stain remover and wash your clothes as you normally do in the washing machine.
Another useful tip if you want to learn how to remove gum from clothes quicklyis that you use vinegar for it. With these simple steps to use vinegar to remove gum from clothes, you will:
- Heat vinegar (the amount of a glass) in a saucepan or in the microwave until it begins to boil.
- Place the garment in a basin or bathtub.
- When the vinegar boils, pour it over the gum.
- Gently scrub the stained area with a brush to loosen the gum, and carefully use a knife or scraper if necessary.
- Wash the garment in the washing machine regularly to remove any remains that may have been stuck. If when the garment dries you still see the chewing gum stain, feel free to repeat the process or use another of the methods mentioned to finish removing it.
Removing gum stains from clothes with soap is also possible.
- Wet the fabric with water and cover the stained area with mild soap.
- With a toothbrush, you will have to rub over the gum remnants until they are completely detached from the garment.
- The possible drawback of using soap is that you will need to scrub with great intensity and even use a brush, for this reason it is not recommended for clothes made of delicate fabrics. So if your affected garment is delicate, use another method in which you do not have to rub or brush hard and, also, make sure if your garment can be applied heat or not to know if some of the previous methods are suitable or do not.