The musty smell is quite unpleasant and therefore no one likes that stench on their shoes. The problem with this type of strong odor is that they remain impregnated and the longer we leave them in the shoes, the more difficult it will be to remove them later. Generally this smell appears on clothing when it is stored in the closet for a long time or when it is not dried properly. However, in the case of footwear, the smell of humidity can be caused mainly by excessive sweating of the feet or by the constant and daily use of a shoe.
In any case, this unpleasant odor can be eliminated thanks to a series of cleaning tricks that we offer you in a HOW TO. Keep reading this article and discover how to remove musty smell from shoes with different home remedies. You may also be interested in: How to remove bad smell from shoes with vinegar Index
Tea bags to remove musty smell from shoes
Infusion or tea bags are one of the most used tricks to eliminate this bad smell from footwear . Due to the fact that they are made with plants with aromatic properties such as chamomile, thyme or cinnamon, or with fruits with a pleasant smell such as lemon or orange, the infusion bags are able to absorb the humidity that is causing that stench in your sneakers.
How to use tea for smelly shoes
- To use this remedy, you will have to let the sachets dry well (in case you have used them for an infusion).
- Then you will have to put them in each shoe so that one is in the area of the toes, a few others near the edges and another through the heel of the shoe.
- Let them rest on the shoes overnight and the next morning remove them.
- You can check that your shoes will no longer have that stench.
Water and alcohol to remove the stench from your shoes
Another home remedy to eliminate bad odors is alcohol since it is a solution with antiseptic and antibacterial properties , which helps both to clean the shoe and to eliminate the accumulation of bacteria that are causing that musty smell.
Alcohol for shoe odor: steps
- Fill half a spray bottle with water and the other half with rubbing alcohol.
- Shake it until the ingredients are well diluted and mixed.
- Once you have the remedy prepared, spray the inside of the shoes with this lotion and then let it work for a while.
- When you notice that the bad smell has been removed, rinse your shoes with water.
Baking soda to eliminate shoe odor
Sodium bicarbonate is one of the most used products in household cleaning . However, in addition to these utilities, it is a natural remedy to eliminate that musty smell from our footwear since, on the one hand, it has antibacterial and neutralizing properties that eliminate the accumulation of microorganisms that cause this stench, and on the other, it has antiseptic properties. that help clean and disinfect the inside of the shoes.
How to apply baking soda for a musty smell
- To use this remedy, you just have to sprinkle the inside of the shoes with baking soda until they are well covered.
- Let the baking soda work overnight to absorb moisture and odor from your shoes.
- The next morning, remove the baking soda by shaking the shoes and you will have them without that unpleasant smell.
Lavender for a good smell in your shoes
Another of the best home remedies to remove musty odor from shoes is lavender. It is an ideal medicinal plant to remove the stench from footwear since it has excellent aromatic properties that will absorb bad smells and also leave a pleasant perfume on them.
Steps to use lavender for shoe odor
- To use this cleaning trick you will simply have to cut a few sprigs of lavender and insert them inside your shoes.
- Leave them inside overnight and remove them the next morning when you are going to put them on.
- You can see that it will have left an excellent aroma on your sneakers and your shoes will no longer smell musty.
Lemon peels for musty shoe odor
Lemon is a fruit that stands out for its acidic flavor and the excellent aroma of its peels, making it very suitable for the musty smell of shoes. In addition to smelling good, the shells have antiseptic properties that also help clean footwear to prevent such foul odors.
How to use lemon to remove moisture from shoes
- Peel a lemon making sure that the peels contain the whitish part (since it is the one that will be responsible for absorbing the bad smell).
- Slip them into your shoes, letting them work throughout the night.
- The next morning you will notice that the footwear has been free of any unpleasant odor and impregnated with the characteristic smell of lemons.