Spending a day in nature and doing outdoor activities is highly beneficial for our mood and our body, but it may not be so much for our clothing. Where there are trees there is a good chance of coming home with resin stains on your clothes . Tree resin is a sticky substance that adheres and penetrates tissues and spreads more the more we rub it, but with a few simple tricks, it can be easy to remove.
How to remove resin stains from clothes – tips
Before starting to remove this residue, we recommend you to know these tips to remove resin from clothing and then follow one of the methods that we will explain.
How to remove resin from clothes with heat – step by step
If a few days have not yet passed and the resin is fresh, you can soften it using heat and a suitable product and thus it will be possible to clean the stain without penetrating further into the fabric. If the amount of resin is large, you can remove it little by little with the help of a sponge without rubbing, letting it absorb a part, or using a knife, spatula or similar instrument to remove as much of the resin drops as possible. , until only the smooth stain remains on the fabric. If the amount of resin is small, or once you have reduced it, you can heat it and wash it directly with hot water and plenty of soap, by hand or with a washing machine, but this method is only suitable for heat resistant fabrics. Take note of these two methods of removing resin with heat .
Dry heat for resin stains
It’s very simple, just apply hot air using a hair dryer (you can also use an iron for clothes). It is better to be patient and not use the maximum temperature so as not to damage the garment. You should also be careful not to apply it too close because it can burn the fabric, especially if you do not move the dryer slightly and you focus the heat a lot.
- Hold the dryer about 8 inches, moving it so that the heat spreads evenly.
- Do this for the necessary time, until you notice that the resin stain softens.
- At that moment, begin to remove the product with small touches with a cloth or sponge, but without rubbing.
- Reapply the dryer to maintain the temperature and the soft texture of the resin and continue to remove it little by little.
- When you do not see the resin and only the stain is noticeable, that is, the most embedded part of the residue, it is time to wash. You can choose to wash by machine or hand, but do so respecting the labeling.
Moist heat to remove resin from clothing
You can also soften the resin stain by soaking the fabric in very hot water. To do this, follow these steps:
- Heat the water in a saucepan or with a kettle.
- Place the affected piece of clothing in a bowl or bucket.
- Pour the boiling water over the stain, always being careful not to burn yourself.
- Repeat as many times as necessary until you see that the water takes away much of the resin and only the mark remains.
- Submerge the stain in hot water and scrub with a fine bristle brush until the stain is virtually invisible.
- Wash the garment the way you usually do and with the same detergent.
In either case, if when the garment dries you see that the stain persists, it is time to use a more specific product to remove stains than the usual detergent, such as the ones you will see in the following sections.
How to remove resin from clothes with chemicals
If you are going to use these products, the first thing you should do is protect your hands with gloves and your clothes with an apron. There are several products that can be used to remove resin from clothing, but you must make sure that they can be used on the fabric you are going to treat, taking special care with delicate or colored garments (other methods may be better for these).
Acetone to remove resin from clothes
This liquid, which is used to remove nail polish, also has other uses and diluting the resin is one of them. The correct way to use it is as follows:
- Soak a cotton ball or rag in acetone.
- Apply it to the resin stain by dabbing on the fabric. Acetone works quickly and also evaporates very quickly, so most of the stain usually disappears in a short time. It is a very fast method but also very aggressive with clothing.
- Wash the garment as usual.
White spirit for resin stains
White spirit is a powerful solvent commonly used to remove plastic paint stains. It also helps us to remove the resin in white or very light-colored clothes and resistant fabrics. Be careful with colored fabrics because they can fade them and leave marks, ruining the garment. It is applied in the same way as acetone.
Turpentine is used to thin oil paints and in cabinetry to remove some types of varnish. Since the resin has an oily component, we can also use turpentine to remove it from the fabric. To do this, follow these indications:
- Soak the stain with turpentine.
- Let it act for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the turpentine with a cloth or rag.
- Wash clothes regularly.
If the stain is not very extensive, pharmacy alcohol can also be useful, as well as other alcohol-based cleaners or disinfectants (hand or medical-use disinfectants and window cleaners). The way to apply it is the same as acetone and turpentine.
Home remedies to remove resin from clothing
Finally, we offer you more tricks to remove resin from clothing , but this time using more natural and less aggressive products.