In every home there is a toolbox to turn to for repairs, DIY tasks or small constructions of all kinds. Regardless of whether the use of these tools is more or less frequent in your home, keeping them in good condition will be essential so that they work perfectly when you need them.
How to remove rust from tools with vinegar
To begin to explain how to remove oxidation from tools, we detail the vinegar method. To achieve this, you need to follow these steps to remove rust from tools with vinegar , you will see that it is very simple:
- Fill a container with white vinegar.
- Dip the tool into the container. Leave it in overnight.
- The next morning, take out the tool.
- With a metal brush, scrape the surface of the tool, especially in the most rusty areas.
- If you can’t soak the tool in a container filled with vinegar overnight, opt to soak a rag in vinegar and wrap the tool with particular attention to the rusted area.
Vinegar is an effective method of removing rust from tools made of strong materials, such as steel. It allows you to complete the process without making great efforts, since you just have to submerge the object and wait for the next day. On the contrary, the main drawback is the time required, since you need to leave it overnight soaked in the vinegar. However, if the tool has little rust, you can clean just with a cloth or scouring pad soaking it in vinegar and scrubbing until the dirt is gone.
How to remove rust from tools with lemon
Lemon juice can be useful if you want to know how to remove rust from iron since, in tools made with this material, it is possible and easy. To do this, follow these steps to remove rust from tools with lemon :
- Place the tool in a container or bowl, cover the rusted area with a little salt and squeeze half a lemon on top.
- Let the mixture work for several minutes.
- Rub the inside of the lemon peel over the rusted area until the tool is spotless.
- If you find it difficult to remove all the rust, repeat the previous steps, leaving more room for the lemon and salt mixture.
- Finally, rinse the tool with water and dry it very well with a cloth.
How to remove rust from tools with baking soda
If you are considering how to remove rust from metal , baking soda is a product to consider. Always linked to the cleaning of objects and surfaces, it also serves to remove rust from tools. To achieve this, at CleaningArena we advise you to follow these steps to remove rust from tools with sodium bicarbonate :
- Rinse the rusted tool with water.
- Make sure it is not too wet, just a little damp.
- Cover the rusted areas with baking soda. This powder easily adheres to damp areas.
- Let it sit for an hour.
- After the hour has passed, scrub with a metal or stiff bristle brush to remove rust from the tool.
- Rinse with water to remove traces of baking soda and dry the tool with a cloth.
Read more: How to remove grime from the stove
You can also prepare a paste with bicarbonate and a few drops of water, take it with the brush and rub the tool. Now that you have learned these steps, we advise you to take a look at these other posts to learn more about How to clean with bicarbonate and vinegar and How to clean with baking soda alone.
How to remove rust from tools with dish soap
Dishwashing soaps are also effective for removing iron rust from tools . And, although it may surprise you, a potato will help you in the application of soap and in the exfoliation of this oxidized layer, since its texture and the starch it contains help to do so. To find out how to do it, follow these steps:
- Cut a potato in half and add a splash of dish soap to it.
- Wash the tool with the potato with soap: rub it as if you were using a sponge or a cloth.
- As you rub, you will observe that the rust disappears from the tool.
- Rinse the item with water to remove any soap residue and dry it with a cloth.
How to remove rust from tools with Coca Cola
Coca Cola, or any cola soda, works as a trick to remove rust from old or neglected tools . There are three ways to achieve this with this soda:
- Wetting the tool with Coca Cola and rubbing the rusted surface with sandpaper at the same time.
- Wetting an aluminum foil with Coca Cola and rubbing it on the rusted areas of the tool.
- Submerging the piece in a container full of Coca Cola. The next day, rub the tool with a cloth to remove the rust and leave it in perfect condition.
Here we leave you a video in which you can see how this soda removes rust from metal,https://www.youtube.com/embed/mDFRXhEvOFw?enablejsapi=1&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fhogar.uncomo.com&widgetid=1
How to remove rust from tools with rust remover liquid
To finish explaining how to remove rust from tools, you can not miss a brief analysis of the specific liquid to remove rust from metal. Depending on the liquid you have bought, you must follow the instructions and recommendations that the spray container indicates. Even so, the most common steps to follow to remove rust from tools with rust remover liquid are the following:
- Before applying the spray, put on some gloves to protect the skin from the liquid and, if you have one, also put on some protective goggles for the eyes.
- Cover the tool with the spray.
- Using a piece of steel wool or a mesh scouring pad, scrub the rusted areas for two minutes.
- Rub the tool again, but now with a clean cloth, to remove any traces of spray and dirt and leave it completely dry.
How to protect tools from rust – tips
To prevent your tools from rusting, you can take some precautionary measures. In oneHOWTO we give you some tips to protect tools from rust :
- Put pieces of chalk into the toolbox to absorb any accumulated moisture.
- Putting a bag full of rice and made of cloth in the toolbox will also help you absorb moisture and prevent objects from rusting.
- Applying the rust remover in advance will prevent the appearance of rust.