Silicone is a colorless and odorless material that is used to seal or glue materials or objects, so it is of remarkable utility. For this reason, it is used both in the industrial field and in homes, either to make crafts or, for example, to keep parts of the kitchen or bathroom in good condition.
Although the use of silicone must be done with gloves, on certain occasions it is inevitable that you cannot use them and stain your hands. If it happens to you and you wonder “how do I get the silicone off my hands?”, Pay attention to these lines. Depending on whether it has dried or remains wet, you can remove it in different ways. If you want to discover how to remove silicone residues from your hands, at UNCOMO we recommend that you continue reading this article in which we tell you how to remove silicone from your hands with 7 effective methods.You may also be interested in: How to remove polyurethane foam from handsIndex
How long does the silicone take to dry?
Before delving into the different methods for removing fresh silicone and dried silicone from your hands, it is important that you know how long it takes for silicone to dry . This material dries in approximately 24 hours for common trim, extending to a maximum of 48 hours for very deep seals.
If it is a thin layer or small drops that have fallen on your hands, the drying time is much shorter: in less than 2 hours you will have it attached, so it is essential to act as quickly as possible since it is removed more easily being fresh. Knowing these times, now we tell you how to remove the silicone from the hands in several different ways.
Remove the fresh silicone from your hands with a tissue
One of the ways you can remove wet silicone from your hands is with a tissue. Use a tissue or absorbent paper to get rid of it and throw it away immediately to prevent the silicone from spreading to more parts of your hands or clothes. If the latter happens to you, here we explain how to remove silicone from clothing .
As it is a particularly sticky material, try to remove as much silicone as possible from your hands before it dries and if any part is somewhat dry and sticky, try using another of the methods that we tell you.
Remove the fresh silicone from your hands with a plastic
Another way to clean your hands from fresh silicone is to use a plastic bag . Grab a shopping or garbage bag with both hands, rubbing it like a bath towel. As it is still wet, the silicone will adhere more easily to the bag and disappear from your hands.
After removing the silicone from your hands with a tissue or plastic bag, you must complete the process with these steps:
- Rinse your hands with soap and water. Use a sponge or brush to finish off any remaining silicone.
- Dry your hands with an old towel, in case you have any remaining silicone, it will not stain a new one. If so, you should repeat the whole process, first choosing to use a tissue or a plastic bag and then rinsing and drying your hands. If the remaining material has already dried enough, better use one of the following methods.
How to remove dry silicone from hands with acetone
In the case of having dried completely, you should resort to a product or homemade method to remove the dried silicone from your hands. One of them is the use of acetone. To be effective, you must follow these steps to remove silicone from hands with acetone :
- Moisten one corner of an absorbent paper with acetone and close the bottle tightly because the steam is harmful.
- Rub the absorbent paper on the stained areas of your hands.
- Avoid applying too much and also avoid putting it all over the surface of the hand because it can dry out the skin a lot.
- Wash your hands with soap and water when finished.
How to remove dried silicone from hands with a blow dryer
The hair dryer is a home remedy with which you can get rid of the dried silicone on your hands. Like many other synthetic compounds, this material softens at high temperatures, so the use of this appliance will be of great help. Follow these steps to safely soften and remove dried silicone from your hands :
- Turn the dryer on to the lowest heat setting.
- Move the drying over the stained areas and progressively increase the power, without using the maximum.
- When you notice that the silicone has heated up, rub with a sponge on those areas of the hand to finish removing it and wash with soap and water.
Use a pumice stone to remove the dried silicone from your hands.
A home remedy with which you can remove the silicone from your hands if it has dried is to use an abrasive or sandpaper . Try to use a product to remove the silicone that is abrasive, that wears or sands, but within this that is soft. There are liquids for this, but you can use a hard sponge, sandpaper, a file or a pumice stone and rub all over the areas of your hands that have been stained with silicone.
You must be especially careful with this method, since silicone is usually very hard when dry and excessive friction with the sponge, stone or sandpaper can seriously damage your skin.
Remove dried silicone from your hands with white spirit
Another of the homemade tricks to remove the silicone from the skin of the hands is to use white spirit or turpentine, which has an effect similar to acetone on the silicone: it manages to soften it if it has dried and remove it. Take note of how to use the white spirit to remove silicone from your hands :
- Put a little white spirit on absorbent paper.
- Apply it on the affected areas of the hands with gentle touches.
- When you’re done removing all the silicone, rinse your hands well to remove the white spirit. Despite not being very dangerous to the touch, this product does generate burns over the hours as long as you do not wash your hands after using it, which is why it is so important that you do it when finished.
Let the silicone dry more
If you have used all the remedies listed above and it has been impossible to get rid of any remaining silicone on your hands, choose to wait. Over time, it will dry out completely and harden until it falls off on its own . Within a week that silicone residue on your skin will disappear completely, but it will do so sooner if you continue using any of the tricks discussed in this article.