he use of silicone to fix, seal or repair tiles is very common, as it is an ideal material for this type of function. Using gloves and taking the pertinent precautions, applying silicone putty can also be used to seal all types of floors: ceramic, stoneware, parquet, etc.
However, silicone can stain the floor or hands. The remaining putty remains on the surface are unsightly, but they can also contribute to accelerating the deterioration of the floor. If it has happened to you, at UNCOMO we will tell you how to remove silicone from the floor easily. Keep reading!You may also be interested in: How to remove oil and grease stains from the floorIndex
Silicone dries quickly on the floor. If 24 or 48 hours have passed after application, you will probably find completely dry spots. In case you want to know how to remove dry silicone from the floor , you can scrape the tiles with a blade that serves to remove dirt from the surfaces.
In any case, this method is only recommended if the tiles are not excessively fragile . Try to lift the silicone caulk gently from the bottom and avoid damaging the floor. If you don’t have a blade made to scratch the ground, opt for a thin knife or spatula that allows you to cut through the silicone and remove it, if possible, with your hands.
If during the application of silicone you have also stained your hands or clothes, we suggest you visit our articles:
Clean the floor
This method will help you if you are looking to remove fresh silicone from the floor , as you can act quickly on the stained area. The only thing you have to do is clean with a degreaser and the help of a cloth.
If you see that it has already dried and you cannot remove the stains in this way, pour hot water into a spray container and apply it to the stained area of the floor. Repeat the action as many times as necessary to get the silicone moistened and remove it more easily. This method is also useful if you want to remove the silicone from the floor without scratching.
If silicone has also fallen on any of your furniture, we will tell you here How to remove silicone putty from furniture .
Acetone and ether
Not sure how to remove dried silicone from wood ? As it is a fragile surface, parquet needs a special method to remove the remains of putty, otherwise it is easily damaged. A mixture of acetone and ether will help you achieve this.
Removing the silicone from the floor without scratching is possible thanks to this type of mixture. To do it:
- Dilute acetone and ether in equal amounts to obtain a solution that you should apply to the stained areas of the surface with a cloth.
- Rub lightly and gradually increase the intensity until you see the dry silicone come off.
- In this way, you get to moisten the silicone and make it easier to remove.
Even so, this procedure has a negative aspect: the excessive use of acetone causes a loss of shine and color in the floor , so you need to measure well the amount of this product in the mixture made.
If your parquet floor looks dull, follow the tips we gathered in our article How to polish parquet without slashing .
Vinegar, brandy, ethyl alcohol, or gasoline
There are many products with which you can remove traces of silicone that remain on the floor. Before applying them, it is advisable to use a spatula or a knife to scrape off the dried putty. In the case of being fresh, you can remove it with absorbent paper.
To finish removing the hardened silicone after using the blade or spatula, choose to apply brandy, ethyl alcohol, vinegar, or gasoline. Any of these substances will help you get rid of the finest lines of putty.
To remove silicone with vinegar or any other of the mentioned products, follow these steps:
- Put on some gloves and apply the product to the stained areas on the silicone floor.
- Wait 5-10 minutes for the product to work on the surface.
- After this time, gently rub over the stains with a sponge or scouring pad. Do it in circular motions.
- You will observe how the dried silicone softens and you can remove it easily.
- When you have finished removing all traces of silicone, clean the floor with a specific detergent to prevent the silicone remover from remaining on the surface and deteriorating it.
More tips for removing silicone from the floor
Choose any of the methods that we have explained previously and it will be easy to remove the old silicone . However, in the event that you continue to have problems cleaning the silicone from the tiles, here are more tips that you can try:
- If you have porcelain floor , you can take a little more risk and use a blade, spatula, or fine knife to remove the silicone residue. It is a very resistant surface, so the risk of damaging it is much lower.
- You can remove fresh silicone from floors such as stoneware with absorbent paper. It will be enough to remove it, since being wet requires less effort to get rid of it.
- If the absorbent or blotting paper is not enough to get the fresh silicone to adhere, use a hair dryer. The heat will make it easier for the putty to stick to the paper and that, taking it with your hands, you can throw it away.
- On lacquered or painted surfaces , avoid the use of alcohol and opt for another product to remove silicone. You can, for example, use a solvent, but only in cases where the silicone is completely dry and adhered to the floor.