A mattress is a very valuable asset in a home, as it is the part of the house that we use the most and we do it every day; It contributes to a correct rest and to avoid problems derived from bad posture during sleep. In short, it is a fundamental piece for our health and rest. But we must bear in mind that a mattress is something delicate that suffers all kinds of stains throughout its life, so we must protect it well and keep it in perfect condition.
Mattress stain removal products
A good way to prolong the good condition of the mattress is to protect it with a cover, but to think that due to the absence of large stains it is not necessary to do maintenance cleaning, it is a serious mistake. There are stains, such as sweat stains, which, although they are not visible, impregnate the mattress with bad odors that can be very unpleasant. These are some cheap and homemade products that will help you keep your mattress as clean as the first day:
- Sodium bicarbonate : this product is essential in a home, as it has great uses due to its antibacterial properties. All you have to do is use it with water: for light stains, moisten a cloth with bicarbonate dissolved in water and rub the surface well; For tough stains, pour baking soda into a bowl and add warm water until a paste forms. Spread this paste well over the stain you want to remove and, in both cases, wait until it is completely dry to remove the product. After a couple of hours, you can vacuum or clean the remains thoroughly with a brush.
- Vinegar : the one used for cleaning is white vinegar, because in addition to eliminating stains permanently, it eliminates mites and any type of insects that reside in the mattress. It will be enough to moisten a cloth with vinegar diluted with water and rub the stain well or, if it is a question of disinfecting a mattress, the entire surface of it. Let it air dry and it will be ready.
- Lemon : it has the same effect as vinegar, but the truth is that it leaves a much better aroma. In addition, it is very effective with body fluid stains. It is used in the same way as vinegar, moistening a cloth in lemon juice diluted with water, rubbing and letting it dry in the open air.
- Hydrogen peroxide : if you wonder how to clean blood stains from a mattress, you should know that hydrogen peroxide is the most powerful weapon. Apply it directly to the mattress and rub well with a cloth or cotton. Then let the product air dry.
- Detergent : its use is convenient if the stains are deep-rooted or old. If it’s liquid detergent, you can always pour some directly onto the mattress and rub with a damp cloth. If it is powder detergent, it is best to dissolve it first in a container with water to distribute it evenly.
How to remove stains from the mattress without getting it wet
If you need to know how to remove stains from the mattress without wetting it, or what is the same, how to dry clean a mattress, the answer is in cleaning products. There are dry cleaning products (such as those used to clean upholstery) that you can compare in powder or foam and you will only have to distribute it generously over the stain and wait for the time indicated by the product before removing it with a brush or with a vacuum cleaner.
How to clean a mattress with the steam cleaner
The steam cleaner is very practical for cleaning and disinfecting mattresses at home. This works with steam and thanks to its high temperature, it kills all kinds of germs, fungi, insects, viruses and bacteria without the need for more products than water. You just have to be careful not to soak the mattress (don’t leave the steamer still in one place for a long time) and let it air dry for at least 10 hours so that no deep traces of moisture remain.
How to remove stains from the mattress
To remove general dirt and dust, there is nothing better than rubbing the mattress with liquid laundry soap diluted in warm water. It is best to rub with a sponge and let it dry in the open air. You can also substitute liquid soap for a mild dish detergent, as these have great cleaning and disinfecting power . But what about other organic stains that are harder to remove?
How to clean a very dirty mattress
If your mattress has stubborn stains, you can also make your own homemade cleaner by mixing all of the above products for a single, quick and very effective solution. The formula for 1 liter of cleaner is:
- 1 cup of vinegar
- The juice of 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoon liquid laundry soap
- A few drops of hydrogen peroxide
All you have to do is mix everything in a bucket with 1 liter of water. Once you have done it, you just have to spray the stains and let the mixture work for at least 10 minutes. If the stains are very stubborn, you can always do two washes in a row and let the mixture act for 20 minutes instead of 10. Once you have finished, you just have to rinse the stain well and let it air dry. The most advisable thing is to vacuum or pass a hood to remove all the remains of the stain.