Product of the use and the passage of time, the mattresses are stained. The lining that covers them, like any protective surface, suffers the wear caused by human contact. Whether from embedded dirt or sweat, or from urine, vomit and other substances, mattresses are always susceptible to acquiring these characteristic yellowish stains.
The baking soda, combined with warm water, forms a very effective stain remover mixture. Likewise, bicarbonate allows to disinfect the mattress from bacteria and germs accumulated on the cover as a product of stains. To know how to clean a very dirty mattress you just have to follow these simple steps.
- In a plastic container, mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda with half a cup of warm water. Stir to form a paste.
- Remove the sheets and take them to the laundry basket.
- Apply the paste directly on the mattress stains. With a brush, spread the paste over the affected area and stir with circular movements.
- Let the baking soda dry. Then, go over with a damp sponge to remove the debris on the mattress cover.
- Find a clean, soft cloth (not fluffy) and wet it with white vinegar (mainly the corners of the cloth).
- Clean the surface with the cloth soaked in vinegar, vigorously going over the stains.
- Then, go over with an abrasive sponge moistened with dish soap. This will be necessary when the yellow spots are very old.
- Clean with a damp cloth and allow to dry.
If your mattress is very dirty, hydrogen peroxide is an excellent ally to remove difficult yellow stains and dry a mattress. In the same way, it works wonders against stains produced by mites, such as those from feces and blood. Follow these steps to use the hydrogen peroxide to remove stains from the mattress:
- Take a large cotton ball and soak it in hydrogen peroxide.
- Clean the stains with the cotton, applying it with circular movements.
- When the cotton is very dirty, replace it with another one, also soaked in hydrogen peroxide.
- When you notice that the surface is free of stains, rub it with a sponge soaked in warm water.
- Soak up the water with a clean, dry cloth. Then, let the mattress finish drying in a ventilated area.
Lemon and baking soda
Lemon with warm water is also a great home trick that you can easily apply to remove yellow stains and whiten your mattress. Citric acid is a powerful stain remover that, in addition, will allow you to decontaminate the mattress and remove bad odors produced, mainly, by urine stains.
- Squeeze 3 lemons into a cup of warm water.
- Stir well and, with the help of a soft cloth, clean the mattress stains.
- Scrub vigorously, moistening the cloth as needed.
- Then, sprinkle on baking soda and sponge over if the stains persist.
- Let the mattress air dry. You will see how the stains and the bad smell have disappeared.
If you see that none of the homemade tricks to clean the mattress have worked for you, you can always go to the detergent soap, as it will be excellent for cleaning mattresses with many stains or very dirty. Just follow these steps so you know how to wash a very dirty mattress at home :
- Mix a cup of liquid laundry detergent with warm water. Check the soap instructions to make sure it is not too harsh on the mattress cover.
- Dip a sponge in the mixture and give the mattress a good scrub over the stained areas.
- Then, wipe with a wet cloth to remove the soap residue.
- Let the mattress dry, preferably in the open air. The sun’s rays will help to bleach and decontaminate stained fabrics.
As we have seen, warm water is very effective against yellow stains on the mattress. If you do not want to apply any other product that can damage the mattress cover, you can apply the following method. You will only need a handheld steamer to have immediate results. Follow these simple steps to learn how to steam clean a mattress :
- Lay the mattress on the wall, horizontally.
- With a vacuum cleaner, remove any accumulated dirt on the mattress.
- Fill the steamer with water and start firing the appliance’s sprinkler on the stained areas. Remember to check the instructions of the appliance before using it for the first time.
- The steamer will gradually expel the water vapor over the fabric. Go over with the hose, making slow movements, until all the stained areas are covered.
- Wait 5 minutes and review again with the steamer. Then air dry the mattress for about 12 hours, in a clean, ventilated space with sunlight, preferably.
Ammonia dissolved in water is very effective in removing any yellow stains from the mattress. It even exterminates blood stains and other liquids, disinfecting the cover fabric thanks to its antiseptic properties. However, to learn how to clean a mattress with ammonia, it is very important that you have a mask and protective gloves on hand, as the smell of this gas is very strong. Make sure to ventilate the area where you will be working well and keep children and pets away.
- Put on your protective mask and latex gloves.
- Mix 2 cups of warm water with half a cup of ammonia.
- Add half a cup of hydrogen peroxide and mix.
- When you have the mixture ready, soak a clean cloth and scrub the stains from the mattress surface. Dampen the cloth and go over the areas that warrant it.
- Then, go over it with a sponge soaked in cold water to remove the remains of the mixture.
- Air dry the mattress in the open air and in direct sunlight. You can also help him dry with a blow dryer in the most humid areas.