One of the elements of the home that make life more comfortable for us is the sleeping pillow, since it is essential for a good rest. Washing and caring for it is important so that it is always available and in good condition when you want to use it. There are many types of pillow depending on their material, so many that it is sometimes difficult to know how to choose a good pillow . One of the best materials is memory foam, providing more comfort, adaptation and softness for the support and use of anyone. For this material to be preserved properly, you must know how to clean it properly.
How to wash a memory foam step by step
The cleaning of a viscoelastic pillow has its peculiarities. You cannot use just any product or opt for a common method, as the material requires special care. We tell you how to wash a memory foam pillow step by step to carry out its basic maintenance:
- Read the label on the memory foam pillow and see if it can be washed with any product. It is an essential step, since it will clarify if you can clean it and even how to do it without risking damaging the material. Although the label indicates that it can be washed in a washing machine, at UNCOMO we recommend that you opt for hand washing whenever possible to take maximum care of the material from high temperatures and the centrifuge.
- Choose to apply a mixture of mild soap and warm water. Do not use abrasive or aggressive products that endanger the memory foam. You can apply the mixture with a soft bristle brush.
- Rinse the brush well in clean water and run it again, moistened with only water, over the entire surface of the pillow, so that you will finish removing soap and dirt.
- When you have finished washing the pillow, you have to dry it well so that it does not take risks, such as the appearance of moisture stains. Later we will explain the best ways to dry it.
- Remember that the cover can be washed separately, either by hand or in the washing machine, according to the indications on its label.
How to wash a memory foam pillow that turns yellow
Removing a stain from a memory foam pillow , which is usually caused by some liquid that we are drinking nearby or by sweat or saliva while we sleep, is not the same as removing stains from pillows made with other materials. To take care of memory foam and avoid using the washing machine, follow these tips on how to remove yellow from memory foam pillows :
- If you quickly detect the yellow stain, that is, if you see it very recent or have accidentally seen liquid fall, for example, from the glass you were drinking, act immediately. Take a piece of kitchen paper or a dry cloth and wipe it over the affected area to try to absorb as much liquid as possible.
- You should rub the yellow stains by applying, with the help of a damp cloth, a mild detergent or a household bleach. If you opt for the bleach resource, you only need to mix water (3 liters), a little lemon juice (125 ml) and hydrogen peroxide (250 ml). With this ratio, the ingredients will be sufficiently diluted so as not to damage the material but they will be able to clean it. You will have to apply it little by little, in small areas to see how the stain and the material react and not to soak the pillow. We recommend using a soft bristle brush.
- Once you have managed to remove all the stains, dry the pillow well. If you need to speed up the drying process, use a hair dryer at a safe distance so as not to burn the memory foam.
With this method you can remove stubborn yellow stains and also disinfect a memory foam pillow. In addition, we recommend this other post in which we talk about How to whiten pillows .
How to eliminate bad odors in a memory foam pillow
Although memory foam pillows should not give off aromas, sometimes they do so due to the prolonged accumulation of saliva, sweat or other stains. In this case, choose to wash it since it is a problem with a simple solution. There are air fresheners capable of neutralizing the bad smells of the pillow and treating the stains with a disinfectant power. However, cleaning pillows with baking soda is the best way to effectively remove odors without damaging the material. Eliminating bad odors from a memory foam pillow with bicarbonate is possible with these simple steps:
- Remove the memory foam pillowcase, which you can machine wash according to the label directions.
- Apply the baking soda spreading it all over the pillow.
- Wait for the product to act for 30 minutes.
- Finally, remove the baking soda from the pillow with a vacuum cleaner.
- If you see that the smell persists or you see stains, prepare baking soda with a little water to form a paste that you can pass through the stained areas of the pillow with the help of a brush. Let it act for 30 minutes and vacuum.
Can I wash a memory foam pillow in the washing machine?
This is another very frequent question when wondering how to wash memory foam pillows, since it usually seems to us the most practical and easy method. Before putting a memory foam pillow in the washing machine , you should first check that this washing method is compatible with the material. In this sense, it is important to know that there are two varieties of memory foam pillows: molded and breathable.
Molded memory foam pillows cannot be washed in the washing machine because it would go against the memory effect they have, that is, they act as a shock absorber and thus guarantee the rest of the neck and head resting on the pillow.
On the other hand, as a general rule, you can wash a breathable memory foam pillow in the washing machine . However, to be sure of this, read the instructions on the label. If you indicate otherwise, for example, because you have some other material, do not put it in the machine either.
How to dry a memory foam pillow
Knowing how to wash a memory foam pillow is just as important as knowing how to dry it to care for it properly. There are different ways to dry a memory foam well:
- With a towel, you will be able to absorb the moisture.
- Another option is to leave it exposed directly to the sun, drying more quickly this way.
- In winter season or in places with excess humidity, opt for the use of a vacuum suitable for humidity and that contains a soft bristle brush: you must use it carefully and slowly so as not to damage the material.
- You should also read the manufacturer’s recommendations on drying the pillow on the label.
- It has to be completely dry before putting the cover on. For this reason, resort to the hair dryer in case of great need and taking extreme precautions, that is, do not put the dryer in direct contact with the pillow, there must always be at least a span of distance.