Sneakers are usually the footwear that stains the most. If we talk about washing tennis or sports shoes, we must bear in mind that they are shoes that we subject to great wear and tear, since we use them to exercise, walk or take walks. Tennis shoes go with us wherever we go, so they inevitably pick up a lot of dirt from the street.
Can the shoes be washed in the washing machine?
Before putting shoes in the washing machine without much thought, it is important that we ask ourselves if washing shoes in the washing machine is the best thing to do. The truth is that it can damage or wear them over time , so it is not the safest method to clean them. In fact, manufacturers like Nike and Adidas suggest avoiding it.
Many sneakers have different textures and colors, some are made of materials such as leather or suede (suede). For this reason, the large amount of water they receive in the washing machine can be harmful for these types of materials and it is best to wash them by hand .
However, if they are already worn or have a very difficult stain to remove, you can use this method from time to time. Here we will show you the best way to wash your shoes in the washing machine.
How to wash sneakers in the washing machine
Sports shoes are a type of footwear that can suffer a lot in a washing machine: the soles can come off, the surface of the footwear can be damaged and they can even become deformed. That is why it is important to follow a series of precautions to maximize the life of the shoes:
- Remove the laces : removing the laces is the first thing you will always have to do. They should not be put loose in the washing machine, as they could clog the drain. It is best to tie them together so that they stay together and put them in a bag for delicates so they will not get lost.
- Remove Insoles : If possible, remove insoles from shoes. They can be undone in the washing machine, so it is more convenient to wash them by hand.
- Remove surface dirt : before putting them in the washing machine, remove as much dirt as possible, especially that which remains adhered to the stamped outsoles. Between the drawings on the sole there are usually gaps in which traces of earth, sand, mud and other sticky substances such as food scraps or gum are usually left. Try to remove all these remains with the help of a brush. Any brush for personal use that we have at home can be worth it, such as an old toothbrush or one for nails. Scrub the dirt with soap and water, and if the shoe is white, you can use a little bleach.
- Do not put them in without protection : we recommend that you do not put the shoes directly into the drum of the washing machine, as it is better to wash them in a cloth or mesh bag. Some brand name sneakers already come with their bag, but if you don’t have a special one, you can use a bag for any delicate clothes.
- Tips for the washing machine : we recommend that you always wash them alone, that is, do not mix them with other clothes. Use a short program and, when choosing the temperature to wash the shoes, always select cold water . Do not wash them in warm water or hot water. Choose not to spin, as this will reduce the risk of the shoes spoiling.
When the washing machine is finished, you will have to put the shoes to dry in an airy place, but never directly in the sun or near any heat device (stoves, air conditioners, hair dryers, etc.) And, above all, never put them in in the dryer .
How to wash white sneakers in the washing machine
White sneakers like Converse , Adidas, or any other brand, have a reputation for getting dirty the same day we use them for the first time. Over time, they accumulate so much dirt that they can appear to be a different color. Is there a way to restore them to their original whiteness? There is a little trick that you can use and for which you only need baking soda and talcum powder. Follow these steps and discover how to wash white sneakers in the washing machine to make them look like new.
- In a bowl, mix one and a half parts detergent to one part baking soda. Stir until both substances are well mixed.
- Dampen the shoes with a spray bottle or a damp cloth. They should not be too wet.
- Using a small brush, take the detergent and baking soda mixture and rub your shoes with it. Let the mixture work for a few minutes.
- Rinse the shoes and sprinkle talcum powder on them to absorb moisture.
- Put them in the washing machine as we have indicated in the previous steps, but do not use soap. Use only the water from the cycle. You will see that they are like new!
How to wash cloth slippers in the washing machine
Cloth sneakers get dirtier than leather ones because they soak up any liquid and the stains are more visible, especially if they are white. If, for example, you wear your shoes on a rainy day, it is very likely that you will have to wash them when you get home. You must do it in the following way:
- Remove the laces and insoles.
- Before putting them in the washing machine, you will have to submerge them in cold soapy water (if they are very dirty you can use warm water) and rub them with a brush until you see that the stains disappear. If they are difficult stains, you can help with a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and rub with more energy. If the shoe is white you can also use some bleach, as it is very effective for both the fabric and the soles. On the other hand, if the shoe is colored, the bleach will eat the color as soon as you touch it, so avoid using it.
- Next, wash the shoes in the washing machine with the precautions that we have previously informed you.
- Follow the same guidelines also for taking out, but, in addition, fill the interior so that they do not deform when drying . You can put a cloth or a small towel.
Can suede shoes be washed in the washing machine?
The suede or chamois is a delicate material that can easily be damaged by moisture, so do not recommend at all to wash them in the washing machine, as they may discolor or damage the tissue can. The same applies if you wonder if you can wash leather slippers in the washing machine. For these cases, you can use a brush and wash them by hand.
How to wash leather slippers in the washing machine
If what you want is to wash leather shoes in the washing machine because they look dirty or especially lackluster, you must follow the step by step that we have indicated in the previous section.
If your shoes have a specific stain, at OneHOWTO we recommend that you first try to remove it by hand, otherwise it could spread during machine washing. There are many homemade tricks to remove skin blemishes that can help you:
How to wash house slippers in the washing machine
To wash slippers we will use the same methods as to wash fabric slippers, including a previous rubbing if they have difficult to remove stains.
We remind you of the importance of never using hot water , otherwise your shoes could shrink. The last thing to keep in mind when washing house slippers in the washing machine is that you should always treat them as if they were delicate garments, otherwise they would deform inside the machine and could even break.