White clothes look the most beautiful after washing, but they also suffer the passage of time more than other colors. As we wash, the white is losing strength and tends to turn yellow or have a gray or dull tone.
Some tips for washing white clothes can help us keep them shiny for longer, such as drying them in the sun or cleaning stains immediately after the clothes get dirty, but it is always a good idea to know all the products that can help us whiten clothes in the washing machine easily.
If you want your clothes to look white and radiant when they come out of the washing machine, do not miss the following oneHOWTO article in which we tell you how to wash white clothes in the washing machine so that they do not turn yellow, how to do it with chlorine and bicarbonate and what do to wash delicate white garments. Do not miss it!You may also be interested in: How to wash shoes in the washing machineIndex
How to wash white clothes in the washing machine with bleach
If you want to know how to bleach clothes in the washing machine , chlorine or bleach is one of the best known and most effective solutions to achieve it. However, chlorine is also one of the products with which we must be most careful when using it on clothing, so it is important to take into account the following precautions before using it :
- Don’t use bleach on clothes that contain color.
- Do not use bleach in every wash, as overuse can weaken clothes.
- Do not apply bleach directly to clothing, always do it diluted in water.
- Don’t use bleach on clothes like wool, silk, spandex, or leather.
- Do not use bleach on clothes that are not very stained, as it is a very strong product. If you want to get rid of softer stains, it is best to use commercially available bleaching products.
Once you take into consideration the above tips, you will only have to follow the steps below to know how to wash clothes with chlorine in the washing machine correctly :
- Separate white clothes from colored clothes.
- It is important to read the labels to make sure that the clothes you are going to wash can withstand washing in hot water.
- Put the clothes in the washing machine, then pour the detergent directly into the drum. The amount of detergent will depend on the load you have put in.
- Fill about 3/4 cup with the bleach and set aside. If the drum of your washing machine is more than half full, you can add a little more bleach. If it’s loaded below half, put a little less.
- Put the wash cycle that you normally use for washing white clothes and make sure that the wash is with hot water, since the heat activates the chlorine and achieves a greater whitening of the clothes.
- Start the wash cycle and, when the washing machine starts to drink water, add the chlorine to the drawer so that it is incorporated into the clothes already mixed with the water. It is important to add bleach when the washing machine starts the wash and starts to release water, otherwise, the chlorine can stain the fabrics.
- Once the wash cycle is finished, you can hang your clothes or put them in the dryer.
If you have accidentally used chlorine on colored clothes, we invite you to visit our article How to remove chlorine stains from clothes so that you do not lose your favorite clothes.
How to bleach white clothes in the washing machine with baking soda
If you want to keep your clothes white and impeccable without having to use strong products such as chlorine, one of the best homemade products to maintain white clothes is bicarbonate. In addition to being less abrasive, it helps balance the pH of the water , making the laundry whiter and softening your fabrics during the wash.
You can dispose of white clothes in the washing machine with baking soda in two ways: by applying the mixture on the clothes or in the washing machine.
- On clothes : add a tablespoon of bicarbonate to a glass of water and mix until the bicarbonate dissolves. Apply the mixture on the clothes and put it in the washing machine. Next, program the wash cycle you use for white clothes.
- In the washing machine : to bleach clothes directly in the washing machine, you just have to put the white clothes in the drum and add half a cup of bicarbonate in the detergent compartment. Then wash normally by setting the wash cycle for whites.
How to wash delicate white clothes in the washing machine
There are different garments such as shirts, blouses or underwear whose fabrics are very delicate and suffer greater wear with the passage of time and washing. Washing a delicate garment in the same way as any other fabric can cause the clothing to rip or tear in areas with the most movement or friction, such as the armhole.
If you don’t want any of your clothes to suffer, here are some tips for how to wash delicate white clothes in the washing machine :
- Before washing delicate white clothes, read the label of each garment to see if they are suitable for machine washing and what is the recommended washing temperature.
- Delicate white clothing is recommended to wash in cold water . In addition to that, the washing machine must be programmed with a special wash cycle for delicate items that performs a gentle wash of the clothes. Generally, items such as blouses, underwear or shirts should be washed at less than 30 degrees and always using the delicates program .
- Avoid using bleach and instead choose natural bleaches or special bleaching products for delicate clothes.
- Don’t fill the washer completely, use about 1/3 of its capacity.
- Certain garments will require a hand wash . To do this, fill a bucket with warm or cold water and add a little of your usual detergent. Gently rub the clothing and rinse with plenty of cold water. Find out more tips for hand washing in our article How to Hand Wash Delicates .
- Delicate clothes should be dried on low heat in the tumble dryer or neatly hung out of direct sunlight.
How to wash white clothes so they don’t turn yellow
It is common for white clothes to tend to turn yellow with the passage of time and washing. If you want to know how to keep your clothes always white without staining, at OneHOWTO we propose some home remedies to avoid it. Take note!
Salt and lemon
This is a trick that helps remove yellow stains from clothing blanc to and whitens without matching yellow. For this you only need the juice of two lemons and a tablespoon of salt. Follow these steps!
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and add a tablespoon of salt.
- Stir the mixture until the salt dissolves and set aside.
- Immerse your white garments in a container with warm water and add the mixture that you have previously prepared.
- Let the clothes soak for a couple of hours.
- After two hours, rinse the clothes well and hang them in the sun.
It is a product that can be found in any home and that helps eliminate yellow from white clothes. To wash clothes with hydrogen peroxide you need half a cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide and half a cup of warm water. Follow these steps to use this home remedy easily:
- Mix the water with the hydrogen peroxide and pour it into the washer box.
- Schedule the wash you use for white garments and wash as you normally do.
- When the wash is done, dry the clothes in the sun.
White vinegar is an excellent ally in cleaning the home, but we can also use it as a fabric softener or to prevent white clothes from turning yellow. To wash your white clothes with vinegar you need half a cup of white vinegar and half a cup of your usual detergent.
- Mix the detergent with the vinegar in a container.
- Pour into the detergent compartment of the washing machine.
- Program the wash cycle you use for white clothes and wash normally.